John Henry on M&M: 2013 not ‘that big of a factor’ thanks to early success
|04.04.14 at 1:46 pm ET|
Red Sox owner John Henry joined Mut & Merloni on Friday to discuss the 2014 season and contract extensions. To hear the interview, go to the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page. For Henry’s comments on Jerry Remy, click here.
For Henry, Boston’s early success has allowed the team to turn the page on the World Series championship in 2013.
“Winning cures everything,” Henry said. “The fact that we have two wins under our belt, I don’t know if we feel like we haven’t already turned the page. If we were 1-2 or 0-3, we’d be thinking about it, but I don’t think it’s that big of a factor.”
Boston’s one loss came on the first day of the season when Jon Lester came away with the loss despite giving up just two runs on six hits in seven innings. During spring training, Lester and the team decided to put talks of a contract extension on hold.
“It’s not surprising that given where the market is right now, it’s just something we haven’t been chasing the market this way,” Henry said. “Some other teams have. Jon wants to come back. He really wants to be with this club. We’re going to do as we did with Dustin [Pedroia] last year — everything we can to bring him back. He’s an important part of this club, but we’re not going to do what some clubs might do.”
Lester has said that he will take a hometown discount to remain with the club.
“When someone says that, you need to treat them with respect,” Henry said. “I know Jon personally, so, no, you don’t try to take advantage. We didn’t try to take advantage of Dustin last year in his situation — I don’t feel we did.
“It won’t be easy to come to a deal, but we’re going to work very creatively, both sides, and hopefully there will be a deal.”
Following are more highlights from the interview. For more team news, visit weei.com/redsox.
On Grady Sizemore: “I think he came here in the first place because he realized the strength of our medical staff. First and foremost, he wants to be the player that he used to be which was a tremendous player. It’s a testament to how good — and people in baseball know, I think — how good our medical staff has been.”
On David Ortiz: “I think what’s been lost in all of this is that people don’t realize that the club received options for the future — you can say, ‘Well he’s going to be ‘X’, he’s going to be 40 years old, he’s going to be 41, 42 years old,’ but for us we knew what was important to David and that was finishing his career here, and I think it’s important to the club. But as far as that’s concerned Ben [Cherington], Larry [Lucchino] and Tom [Werner] and all of us — John Farrell — all of us were on the same page that if we can figure out a way for it to work for us as well as for David, we wanted to extend.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016