Red Sox pregame notes: David Ortiz’s night off ‘planned down day’
|04.05.14 at 5:19 pm ET|
Prior to Saturday night’s game at Fenway Park against the Brewers, Red Sox manager John Farrell said sitting David Ortiz was planned. Ortiz has experienced some calf tightness, but, according to Farrell, the physical issue wasn’t the primary reason for the day off.
“He deals with a little bit of tightness from time to time,” said Farrell of the calf. “As much as anything, this was more of a planned down day.”
“Looking at the schedule, the late-night travel, yesterday’s situation — we’ve got to, with all of our players, just rotate guys through, but Grady in the leadoff spot, he’s obviously gotten on base here with some regularity, in a spot he’s been familiar with his entire career,” said Farrell, referencing Sizemore, who will likely get Sunday off. “He’ll give us a spark at the top of the lineup.”
Sizemore, who hadn’t hit leadoff in any of the previous four games, has hit leadoff 705 games in career.
- Shane Victorino continues to battle flu-like situations while coming back from a right hamstring issue.
“He was here for a brief time yesterday,” Farrell said. “He’s not around the team. We’ll likely bring him in here during game time to continue to get treatment but not be around the majority of the players for the flu-like symptoms, the flu that he’s dealing with. He’s still in that phase. I don’t have an update on how long his separation from the team will be. That’ll be dependent upon how quickly he gets through the flu.”
- Craig Breslow, who was eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list, may get some more work with Triple-A Pawtucket.
“Continues to improve. He’s getting closer,” Farrell said. “Yesterday was his fifth overall appearance. We’ll sit down and talk with Craig a little bit more specifically on what the next step is. … All of it is a possibility.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan
- Top 40 Season in Review: Dan Butler and Mauricio Dubon