Saturday’s Red Sox-Brewers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Wily Peralta
|04.05.14 at 9:27 am ET|
Buchholz heads into his first start of the year after an offseason in which he rested his shoulder and did not pick up a baseball from the World Series until December. The 29-year-old righty missed more than three months of the 2013 season with an inflammation in the bursa sac of his right shoulder before he came back in September and pitched through the postseason.
Over the course of spring training, Buchholz pitched an increasing amount of innings, pitching a total of 19 during March and going 3-2 with a 2.84 ERA and a WHIP of 0.95.
“Obviously, it’s taking a little bit longer to get the innings in for the simple fact that I started a little bit late, but for the most part it’s worked out pretty nicely for me and to be able to go out there and have a pitch limit set or an inning limit set during the game,” Buchholz said.
Buchholz, who has never faced off against the Brewers, last pitched on Oct. 27, 2013, in Game 4 of the World Series. In four innings on the mound, Buchholz gave up one unearned run on three hits while striking out two and walking three in what was ultimately a 4-2 Red Sox win over the Cardinals.
Like Buchholz, Peralta has never pitched against the team he’ll face Saturday. The 24-year-old, who is in his third season with Milwaukee, comes into the game after the best spring of his career. Peralta went 1-1 with a 4.63 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP in six appearances in spring.
Peralta’s last outing of the 2013 season came in late September when the righty picked up his 11th win of the year after he gave up three earned runs on five hits and five walks against St. Louis.
Brewers vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Lyle Overbay (32 plate appearances): .250 AVG/.344 OBP/ .286 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mark Reynolds (17): .250/.412/.583, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Carlos Gomez has two strikeouts in three plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Red Sox vs. Peralta (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Peralta.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Brandon Workman
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop two in Championship Series
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal