Sunday’s Red Sox-Brewers matchups: Jon Lester vs. Yovani Gallardo
|04.06.14 at 8:23 am ET|
Lester is set to make his second start of the season and is looking for his first win. The southpaw lost on Opening Day despite pitching very well, allowing six hits and two runs in seven innings. He threw 104 pitches, 73 for strikes, and had eight strikeouts compared to one walk.
“I felt pretty good from the start,” Lester said after the loss. “I was missing a little bit in the first couple of innings. Really, the one thing that I thought hurt me was the leadoff walk in the second. Other than that, a bunch of singles [five of the six hits he allowed were singles] and a solo homer.”
Lester has faced the Brewers only once before, back in 2011. In a loss, Lester went eight innings, allowing four runs (three earned), striking out eight and walking three. Lester allowed three home runs in that game.
During spring training, Lester looked strong, pitching in three games, winning one and losing one. He had an ERA of 0.71 and a WHIP of 0.789, pitching in 12 2/3 innings. He allowed seven hits and one earned run while striking out 14 and walking three.
Gallardo faced the Red Sox in 2011 during the same series, his only appearance against the team. Like Lester, he loss the game, giving up five runs, eight earned, striking out four and walking two over three innings.
Gallardo had a 3.98 ERA and a WHIP of 1.623 during spring training, pitching in six games, winning none of them and losing two. He pitched 20 1/3 innings and allowed 27 hits, 12 runs, nine earned runs and six walks.
Brewers vs. Lester (LHP)
Lyle Overbay (31 plate appearances): .321 AVG/.387 OBP/.607 SLG, 2 doubles, 2 HRs, 8 RBIs, 3 walks, 9 strikeouts
Mark Reynolds (31): .269/.387/.500, 3 double, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Carlos Gomez (10): .100/.100/.100, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Ryan Braun (4): .333/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Aramis Ramirez (4): .750/.750/1.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
Rickie Weeks (4): .500/.500/1.500, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Jeff Bianchi, Khris Davis, Scooter Gennett, Jonathan Lucroy, Martin Maldonado, Logan Schafer and Jean Segura have not faced Lester.
Red Sox vs. Gallardo (RHP)
Jonny Gomes (17): .154/.353/.385, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera (6): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
David Ross (4): .500/.500/1.250, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (4): .667/.667/1.667, 1 HR, 1 RBI
David Ortiz (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Brian Johnson leads PawSox to shutout victory
- After slow start, Cecchini heating up at the plate, settling into left field
- Cup of Coffee: Watkins earns save after catching 14 innings
- Weekly Notes: Johnson makes Major League debut
- Cup of Coffee: Big offensive performances from Pawtucket, Greenville and Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Travis highlight tight Portland victory
- Cup of Coffee: Tejeda's big night pushes Portland past Fisher Cats
- 2015 Draft Recap: Benintendi a best-case scenario
- Podcast Ep. 81: Dropping in on the Drive, Darren Fenster interview
- Cup of Coffee: Owens solid again, Portland stages comeback