Will Middlebrooks to receive MRI on right calf
|04.06.14 at 1:36 am ET|
Farrell explained that the third baseman’s calf tightened up on him during pregame sprints, forcing a last-minute lineup change which resulted in Jonathan Herrera getting his first start of the season.
Another late scratch for the Red Sox was first baseman Mike Carp, who experienced back tightness during batting practice. Carp did, however, enter the game for the final two innings after David Ortiz‘s pinch-hit for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Carp went in to man first, with the starting first baseman, Daniel Nava, going to right field in the place of Bradley Jr.
Another regular making a late appearance was Ortiz, who had originally been given what Farrell deemed a scheduled “down day.” The designated hitter, whose calf has also experienced some tightness, came on to ground out in his only at-bat.
It was expected that Grady Sizemore would get Sunday off, although that may be dependent on Carp’s availability.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller