Will Middlebrooks to receive MRI on right calf
|04.06.14 at 1:36 am ET|
Farrell explained that the third baseman’s calf tightened up on him during pregame sprints, forcing a last-minute lineup change which resulted in Jonathan Herrera getting his first start of the season.
Another late scratch for the Red Sox was first baseman Mike Carp, who experienced back tightness during batting practice. Carp did, however, enter the game for the final two innings after David Ortiz‘s pinch-hit for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Carp went in to man first, with the starting first baseman, Daniel Nava, going to right field in the place of Bradley Jr.
Another regular making a late appearance was Ortiz, who had originally been given what Farrell deemed a scheduled “down day.” The designated hitter, whose calf has also experienced some tightness, came on to ground out in his only at-bat.
It was expected that Grady Sizemore would get Sunday off, although that may be dependent on Carp’s availability.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again