Will Middlebrooks to receive MRI on right calf
|04.06.14 at 1:36 am ET|
Farrell explained that the third baseman’s calf tightened up on him during pregame sprints, forcing a last-minute lineup change which resulted in Jonathan Herrera getting his first start of the season.
Another late scratch for the Red Sox was first baseman Mike Carp, who experienced back tightness during batting practice. Carp did, however, enter the game for the final two innings after David Ortiz‘s pinch-hit for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Carp went in to man first, with the starting first baseman, Daniel Nava, going to right field in the place of Bradley Jr.
Another regular making a late appearance was Ortiz, who had originally been given what Farrell deemed a scheduled “down day.” The designated hitter, whose calf has also experienced some tightness, came on to ground out in his only at-bat.
It was expected that Grady Sizemore would get Sunday off, although that may be dependent on Carp’s availability.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens