Will Middlebrooks to receive MRI on right calf
|04.06.14 at 1:36 am ET|
Farrell explained that the third baseman’s calf tightened up on him during pregame sprints, forcing a last-minute lineup change which resulted in Jonathan Herrera getting his first start of the season.
Another late scratch for the Red Sox was first baseman Mike Carp, who experienced back tightness during batting practice. Carp did, however, enter the game for the final two innings after David Ortiz‘s pinch-hit for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Carp went in to man first, with the starting first baseman, Daniel Nava, going to right field in the place of Bradley Jr.
Another regular making a late appearance was Ortiz, who had originally been given what Farrell deemed a scheduled “down day.” The designated hitter, whose calf has also experienced some tightness, came on to ground out in his only at-bat.
It was expected that Grady Sizemore would get Sunday off, although that may be dependent on Carp’s availability.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced