Will Middlebrooks to receive MRI on right calf
|04.06.14 at 1:36 am ET|
Farrell explained that the third baseman’s calf tightened up on him during pregame sprints, forcing a last-minute lineup change which resulted in Jonathan Herrera getting his first start of the season.
Another late scratch for the Red Sox was first baseman Mike Carp, who experienced back tightness during batting practice. Carp did, however, enter the game for the final two innings after David Ortiz‘s pinch-hit for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.
Carp went in to man first, with the starting first baseman, Daniel Nava, going to right field in the place of Bradley Jr.
Another regular making a late appearance was Ortiz, who had originally been given what Farrell deemed a scheduled “down day.” The designated hitter, whose calf has also experienced some tightness, came on to ground out in his only at-bat.
It was expected that Grady Sizemore would get Sunday off, although that may be dependent on Carp’s availability.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists