Tuesday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Martin Perez
|04.08.14 at 8:22 am ET|
After posting their first home win of 2014 on Monday night, the Red Sox will play their second game against the Rangers, sending Felix Doubront to the mound against fellow Venezuelan left-hander Martin Perez on Tuesday evening.
Doubront, along with John Lackey, are the only Red Sox starters to have recorded a win in 2014. Doubront picked up the win in the finale of the series at Baltimore on Thursday, as he went 5 2/3 innings and gave up three runs (all earned) on six hits while striking out four and walking one.
“Overall, pretty good,” Doubront said after the game. “My delivery was good. For the first game, it was good.’’
The 26-year-old Doubront has faced the Rangers six times in his career, including three starts in 2010, 2012 and 2013. The southpaw has an 0-3 record with an 11.40 ERA and a 2.6 WHIP over 15 innings of work, allowing 31 hits, 21 runs (19 earned) and one home run, striking out 15 and walking eight. He also picked up a save against Texas in 2010.
Doubront’s worst outing against the Rangers came in 2011, when he came out of the bullpen and allowed three runs (all earned) on two hits and two walks while only managing to get one out.
Perez has only faced the Red Sox once, back in 2012. The 23-year-old got the start that day and went six innings, giving up a run on five hits, striking out one and walking two. Despite pitching well, Perez got a no-decision and the Red Sox won the game in the ninth inning.
The southpaw got his first start of the season against the Phillies on April 1, going 5 2/3 innings and allowing two runs (both earned) on seven hits, striking out seven. While the Rangers won the game, 3-2, Perez did not get the decision, as Joakim Soria picked up the win in the ninth inning.
Rangers vs. Doubront (LHP)
J.P. Arencibia (13 plate appearances): .167 AVG/.231 OBP/.500 SLG, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Elvis Andrus (10): .333/.400/.333, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Alex Rios (9): .111/.111/.111
Adrian Beltre (6): .667/.667/1.000, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Prince Fielder (6): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Shin-Soo Choo (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland (4): .750/.750/.750, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jim Adduci, Robinson Chirinos, Michael Choice, Leonys Martin, Donnie Murphy and Josh Wilson have not faced Doubront.
Red Sox vs. Perez (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (6): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia had no hits in three plate appearances vs. Perez
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot