David Ortiz sets another record (sort of): slowest home run trot
|04.10.14 at 9:03 am ET|
The internet has given us a bevy of fantastic resources when it comes to turning baseball inside-out. One of them just happens to be Tater Trot Tracker, which offers the times for each day’s home run trots.
It’s a website that allowed us to measure Carlos Gomez‘s sprint around the bases Saturday night (17.66 seconds), which was the game’s second fastest of the season, only trailing Gomez’s April 1 homer (16.18 seconds).
Well, now, thanks to the diligence of the site’s founder, Larry Granillo, we have learned that David Ortiz made history with his three-run blast Wednesday afternoon.
According to Granillo, Ortiz’s time of 32.91 around the bases was the slowest trot recorded by the site since its inception in 2008. The Sox designated hitter narrowly out-paced the previous mark of 31.56 seconds, set by Bobby Abreu.
It isn’t the first time Ortiz has held the honor. In ’10 he became the first player to take more than half a minute to round the bases after hitting a homer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington