David Ortiz sets another record (sort of): slowest home run trot
|04.10.14 at 9:03 am ET|
The internet has given us a bevy of fantastic resources when it comes to turning baseball inside-out. One of them just happens to be Tater Trot Tracker, which offers the times for each day’s home run trots.
It’s a website that allowed us to measure Carlos Gomez‘s sprint around the bases Saturday night (17.66 seconds), which was the game’s second fastest of the season, only trailing Gomez’s April 1 homer (16.18 seconds).
Well, now, thanks to the diligence of the site’s founder, Larry Granillo, we have learned that David Ortiz made history with his three-run blast Wednesday afternoon.
According to Granillo, Ortiz’s time of 32.91 around the bases was the slowest trot recorded by the site since its inception in 2008. The Sox designated hitter narrowly out-paced the previous mark of 31.56 seconds, set by Bobby Abreu.
It isn’t the first time Ortiz has held the honor. In ’10 he became the first player to take more than half a minute to round the bases after hitting a homer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven