David Ross on Brian McCann: ‘I knew he wanted to come (to Boston), a lot’
|04.11.14 at 8:47 pm ET|
NEW YORK — David Ross had hope.
But then, on a November get-away weekend with McCann and former Braves pitcher Eric O’Flaherty (whom the Red Sox also had interest in), the free agent catcher broke the news to his buddy.
“We went on a guys’ trip and he had told me the Yankees had made a pretty good offer early on and he was probably going to be a Yankee,” Ross said. “I didn’t say anything because that’s a lot of money and I don’t want to be messing up anybody’s thing.
“Early on I did (think McCann would come to Boston). I knew he wanted to come here, a lot. I had just told him what it was like here and that interested him. But when it comes to that much money they were talking about, I kind of stayed out of it because he’s got to make the best decision for him and his family. But I definitely was telling him about everything I liked about being here, and how well he would fit in here. But the Red Sox weren’t even close to what he got, so it really was a no-brainer.”
The left-handed hitting McCann ‘ who signed a five-year, $85 million deal (with a $15 team option) ‘ is batting just .167 with a .356 OPS in his first nine games with the Yankees.
Still, the expectation is that acquring the 10-year veteran (he of the .819 career OPS) will ultimately be a big win for the Yankees.
“It’s weird competing against him. It’s really weird,” Ross said. “It’s funny to me. There was a foul ball over near our dugout about 20 rows deep and he ran over and I was yelling, ‘You’ve got room!’ He just started laughing. You turn yourself into competitors. I want to now kick his tail every time I play him.
“I think they knew how close we were. I know there was some dialogue and they were interested in him. There were other players they called me about, including some catchers. They knew he would fit in well here. But they were in a tough position here where they had some really good catchers coming. I don’t know if the Yankees felt the same way about their farm system.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash