David Ross on Brian McCann: ‘I knew he wanted to come (to Boston), a lot’
|04.11.14 at 8:47 pm ET|
NEW YORK — David Ross had hope.
But then, on a November get-away weekend with McCann and former Braves pitcher Eric O’Flaherty (whom the Red Sox also had interest in), the free agent catcher broke the news to his buddy.
“We went on a guys’ trip and he had told me the Yankees had made a pretty good offer early on and he was probably going to be a Yankee,” Ross said. “I didn’t say anything because that’s a lot of money and I don’t want to be messing up anybody’s thing.
“Early on I did (think McCann would come to Boston). I knew he wanted to come here, a lot. I had just told him what it was like here and that interested him. But when it comes to that much money they were talking about, I kind of stayed out of it because he’s got to make the best decision for him and his family. But I definitely was telling him about everything I liked about being here, and how well he would fit in here. But the Red Sox weren’t even close to what he got, so it really was a no-brainer.”
The left-handed hitting McCann ‘ who signed a five-year, $85 million deal (with a $15 team option) ‘ is batting just .167 with a .356 OPS in his first nine games with the Yankees.
Still, the expectation is that acquring the 10-year veteran (he of the .819 career OPS) will ultimately be a big win for the Yankees.
“It’s weird competing against him. It’s really weird,” Ross said. “It’s funny to me. There was a foul ball over near our dugout about 20 rows deep and he ran over and I was yelling, ‘You’ve got room!’ He just started laughing. You turn yourself into competitors. I want to now kick his tail every time I play him.
“I think they knew how close we were. I know there was some dialogue and they were interested in him. There were other players they called me about, including some catchers. They knew he would fit in well here. But they were in a tough position here where they had some really good catchers coming. I don’t know if the Yankees felt the same way about their farm system.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela