Friday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. CC Sabathia
|04.11.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Lester is looking for his first win of the season when he takes the mound at Yankee Stadium. The southpaw, who is making his third start of the year, came away with the loss on April 6 when he gave up four runs, two of which were earned, on seven hits over 7 1/3 innings in a 4-0 loss.
Lester has not given up more than two earned runs in either of his outings this season.
“We created a number of opportunities obviously,” John Farrell said after the loss (via MLB.com). “I thought we squared up a number of balls that got knocked down by some gusty winds in the outfield. But we continue to create chances. I thought Jon Lester was in control of the ballgame here today. They made the most of the hits they put up.”
Lester battled Sabathia when he last took on the Yankees on Sept. 14, 2013. Lester came away with the win as he gave up just one earned run and scattered three hits and five strikeouts over eight innings. Sabathia struggled during his six innings as he gave up five runs on nine hits with four walks and five strikeouts in Boston’s 5-1 win.
Sabathia picked up his first win of 2014 on April 6 after he gave up four earned runs on seven hits during six innings against the Blue Jays — an improvement over his first outing of the year when he earned a loss after giving up six runs in six innings.
Lester is a career 11-5 against the Yankees with a 3.96 ERA and a WHIP of 1.40, while Sabathia has gone 10-11 with a 4.72 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP against the Sox.
Red Sox vs. Sabathia (LHP)
David Ortiz (66 plate appearances): .230 AVG/.288 OBP/.377 SLG, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 4 walks, 15 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (58): .302/.362/.358, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 13 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (44): .250/.364/.389, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (34): .276/.382/.552, 2 doubles, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (27): .222/.222/.407, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 6 strikeouts
David Ross (22): .333/.409/.722, 1 double, 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (16): .167/.214/.417, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Ryan Roberts (11): .273/.273/.818, 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Grady Sizemore (9): .286/.444/.857, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley Jr. (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Carp (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonathan Herrera has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Sabathia.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (69): .333/.391/.397, 1 double, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (51): .217/.294/.478, 6 doubles. 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 5 walks, 10 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (49): .313/.327/.438, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (14): .000/.143/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (13): .308/.308/.308, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Francisco Cervelli (7): .333/.429/.333, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Brian McCann (4): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Carlos Beltran (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 2 walks
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo