Friday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. CC Sabathia
|04.11.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Lester is looking for his first win of the season when he takes the mound at Yankee Stadium. The southpaw, who is making his third start of the year, came away with the loss on April 6 when he gave up four runs, two of which were earned, on seven hits over 7 1/3 innings in a 4-0 loss.
Lester has not given up more than two earned runs in either of his outings this season.
“We created a number of opportunities obviously,” John Farrell said after the loss (via MLB.com). “I thought we squared up a number of balls that got knocked down by some gusty winds in the outfield. But we continue to create chances. I thought Jon Lester was in control of the ballgame here today. They made the most of the hits they put up.”
Lester battled Sabathia when he last took on the Yankees on Sept. 14, 2013. Lester came away with the win as he gave up just one earned run and scattered three hits and five strikeouts over eight innings. Sabathia struggled during his six innings as he gave up five runs on nine hits with four walks and five strikeouts in Boston’s 5-1 win.
Sabathia picked up his first win of 2014 on April 6 after he gave up four earned runs on seven hits during six innings against the Blue Jays — an improvement over his first outing of the year when he earned a loss after giving up six runs in six innings.
Lester is a career 11-5 against the Yankees with a 3.96 ERA and a WHIP of 1.40, while Sabathia has gone 10-11 with a 4.72 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP against the Sox.
Red Sox vs. Sabathia (LHP)
David Ortiz (66 plate appearances): .230 AVG/.288 OBP/.377 SLG, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 4 walks, 15 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (58): .302/.362/.358, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs, 4 walks, 13 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (44): .250/.364/.389, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 5 walks, 9 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (34): .276/.382/.552, 2 doubles, 2 HR, 8 RBIs, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (27): .222/.222/.407, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 6 strikeouts
David Ross (22): .333/.409/.722, 1 double, 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (16): .167/.214/.417, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Ryan Roberts (11): .273/.273/.818, 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Grady Sizemore (9): .286/.444/.857, 1 double, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley Jr. (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Mike Carp (6): .000/.167/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonathan Herrera has one strikeout in one plate appearance vs. Sabathia.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (69): .333/.391/.397, 1 double, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (51): .217/.294/.478, 6 doubles. 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 5 walks, 10 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (49): .313/.327/.438, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (14): .000/.143/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (13): .308/.308/.308, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Francisco Cervelli (7): .333/.429/.333, 2 RBIs, 1 walk
Brian McCann (4): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Carlos Beltran (3): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 2 walks
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies