Koji Uehara sits out Red Sox win after experiencing shoulder stiffness
|04.11.14 at 11:16 pm ET|
NEW YORK — The injuries keep coming for the Red Sox.
Just moments before what turned out to be a 4-2 Red Sox win over the Yankees Friday night, it was determined that Koji Uehara wouldn’t be available for duty after experiencing right shoulder stiffness during pregame.
Farrell noted Uehara hadn’t been dealing with any sort of stiffness prior to Friday.
“Based on what Koji’s expressed as far as the stiffness, this doesn’t seem to be a one-pitch injury type thing,” Farrell said. “He just felt some stiffness and we wanted to stay away from him.”
The reliever did mention after the game that he had similar tightness two years ago while pitching with Texas, an issue that he said took two months to overcome after it resurfaced.
“It’s not something I feel all the time,” he said. “It’s not pain. It’s tightness when I throw. I feel it.”
Replacing Uehara in the closers role Friday night was Edward Mujica, who set the Yankees down in order in the ninth inning to pick up his first save as a member of the Red Sox. Mujica had served as the Cardinals’ closer for much of the 2013 season, having made the National League All-Star team after picking up 26 first-half saves.
“He’s got a lot of success in that closer’s role,” Farrell said. “He pitches with a lot of confidence in that ninth inning.”
“When I signed with this team they told me ‘We’re going to have a lot of opportunities in the bullpen,'”Mujica said. ‘The job I did last year they said, ‘Mujica can do the job if Koji goes down.’ But everybody is ready to go to do whatever role.”
There were no plans at this time for Uehara to return to Boston for a further examination.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot