Red Sox to re-evalute Koji Uehara Sunday
|04.12.14 at 1:59 pm ET|
Uehara reported stiffness in his throwing shoulder prior to Friday night’s game. It’s an issue he experienced during the 2012 season while with the Rangers, having it linger for more than two months after a setback while on the 15-day disabled list.
“Anytime you’ve got a pitcher unavailable, there’s immediate concern,” Farrell said. “We’re also getting to know — this is the first time we’ve had to deal with him being unavailable. We’ve got to respect how he reacts to the discomfort that’s there, the tightness that’s there. We also know that when he was in Texas, there was a setback during the time that he was on the DL, so to say this is a direct comparison to two years ago, it’s probably a little bit too early, but we’ll take every precaution to get him back fully when he’s able to return.”
Farrell noted that the plan continues to be having Edward Mujica fill in as the Red Sox‘ closer until Uehara is cleared. Mujica threw a perfect ninth inning in picking up his first save as a member of the Sox, Friday night.
“One of the main reasons we signed [Mujica] in the offseason is history last year showed us the need for multiple guys that could close games out in the event of a situation that arose [Friday] night,” said Farrell, who said the set-up situation leading up to the ninth will still be somewhat dependent on match-ups. “A guy that saved 30-plus games. He walks to the mound in the ninth inning very comfortable. We have got complete confidence in him.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort