Red Sox ‘hopeful and expecting’ Koji Uehara back for White Sox series
|04.13.14 at 7:00 pm ET|
While Koji Uehara will remain unavailable on Sunday, two days after shoulder stiffness rendered him unavailable for a game against the Yankees, the Red Sox closer was able to long toss and throw on flat ground (mixing his fastball and splitter) on Sunday in Yankee Stadium, and based on how he responded, the Red Sox are optimistic that he’ll be able to avoid the disabled list and pitch during the forthcoming series against the White Sox in Chicago. Uehara will be examined at length in Boston on Monday (an off-day for the Red Sox), and he’ll need to throw off a bullpen mound to make sure he’s ready for game action, but if all goes well, the Red Sox believe that they may have averted a potential significant blow to their late-inning ambitions.
“He was really able to generate good arm speed. He’s moving past some of the concerns, mentally, that he had,” manager John Farrell told reporters. “During the time he was throwing, he felt better than he actually expected. He’s still going to return to Boston to go through a full workup tomorrow. At this point, we’re hopeful and expecting him to return to us in Chicago. We’d still like to get him off a mound in a bullpen session or get him back in a game, but today overall was very good news regarding Koji.”
Uehara has appeared in five games this year, tossing five scoreless innings with seven punchouts and no walks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Reports: Red Sox sign Cuban OF Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Miller homer lifts Portland following Rodriguez gem
- Barnes continues resurgence behind explosive fastball, strong curve
- Cup of Coffee: Barnes impresses in shutout victory
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo shuts out Lehigh Valley
- Players of the Week, 8/11-17: Keith Couch & Keury De La Cruz
- Cup of Coffee: Top picks Chavis and Kopech key GCL Sox win
- Jackie Bradley, Jr. optioned to Pawtucket, Betts called up to Boston
- Weekly Notes: Margot's break out continues in Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Monge, Margot, and Mookie keep mashing