Red Sox lineup: Dustin Pedroia scratched from series finale at Yankees with wrist injury
|04.13.14 at 6:48 pm ET|
A Red Sox team that is already without two of its everyday players — right fielder Shane Victorino and third baseman Will Middlebrooks — will also be without second baseman Dustin Pedroia for the series finale against the Yankees in the Bronx. Pedroia was originally in the lineup, but when he went to hit prior to Sunday’s game, persistent soreness first encountered when he got wiped out on a double play pivot against the Brewers last weekend worsened, resulting in the decision to take him out of the lineup. He’ll be sent to Boston for an exam on Monday morning.
“He’s had increased symptoms of soreness in his left wrist,” Sox manager John Farrell told reporters in New York. “He went down to hit early today, and the soreness continues to persist and gain in intensity, so he’s going to be heading back to Boston as well to get a workup first thing in the morning.”
Pedroia, who was 6-for-10 in the first two games of the year, has struggled to a .156/.156/.222 line in 10 subsequent games, and 3-for-27 since the Brewers series.
“There’s probably a direct correlation to what we’ve seen at the plate,” Farrell told reporters of the relationship between Pedroia’s injury and struggles. “There hasn’t been an event over the past couple of days that has brought this onset even further. It’s more just everyday play that the soreness increases. It’s got to be checked out. Until we have some results of imaging of any kind, that’s the best I can tell you.”
With Pedroia out, Jonathan Herrera is at second base and batting ninth. Pedroia had been scheduled to lead off; in his absence, Grady Sizemore will do the honors.
RED SOX LINEUP
Grady Sizemore, LF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Daniel Nava, RF
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Ryan Roberts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jonathan Herrera, 2B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort