Sunday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Ivan Nova
|04.13.14 at 9:42 am ET|
Though 1-1, Doubront has struggled in his first two starts of the season. After picking up a win against Baltimore, Doubront only made it through 2 2/3 innings against Texas on April 8, giving up five runs on six hits and a home run while striking out two and walking three. The rough outing, which was the shortest of his career, leaves Doubront with a 9.00 ERA and a 2.000 WHIP.
“I wasn’t tired,” Doubront said after the game. “I don’t know. I can’t explain what happened. I was feeling really good during the first two innings and the whole day, in my bullpen and the start of the game. I started doing too much. I think that’s what happened. I was trying to do too much and overthrow.”
The 26-year-old has played against the Yankees 12 times in his career, eight of them being starts. In 2010 and 2011, he came out of the bullpen four times, giving up two earned runs off of 17 batters faced. The southpaw picked up no-decisions in those contests.
2012 was a good year for Doubront against the Yankees as he made four starts and went 1-1 with an ERA of 2.52 and a WHIP of 1.200. While he went 2-1 against them in 2013, he had a 6.30 ERA with a WHIP of 1.700.
Similar to Doubront, Nova has struggled in 2013, going 1-1. The 27-year-old picked up a win at Houston in his season debut, going 5 2/3 innings and giving up two runs while walking five and striking out one. His second game, against Baltimore on April 8, saw him go only 3 2/3 innings and give up seven runs on 10 hits and a home run.
Nova has struggled against the Red Sox, going 2-3 in eight games with a 5.50 ERA and a WHIP of 1.699. Nova’s best year against Boston was in 2012, when he went 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA and a WHIP of 1.250. In his games against the Sox in 2010, 2011 and 2013, his ERA was over six and he did not record a win.
Red Sox vs. Nova (RHP)
David Ortiz (20 plate appearances): .375 AVG/.500 OBP/.625 SLG, 1 double, 1 home run, 4 RBIs, 4 walks
A.J. Pierzynski (17): .200/.235/.200, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (14): .333/.429/.500, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Daniel Nava (12): .400/.500/.600, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (8): .200/.500/.200, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (7): .200/.429/.800, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Roberts (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Jonathan Herrera has not reached base in three plate appearances vs. Nova.
Grady Sizemore has two strikeouts in three plate appearances
Xander Bogaerts has a walk and a strikeout in two plate appearances
Jackie Bradley has one strikeout in two plate appearances
Jonny Gomes and David Ross have not faced Nova.
Yankees vs. Doubront (LHP)
Brett Gardner (15): .167/.333/.333, 1 triple, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Derek Jeter (15): .143/.200/.143, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (15): .308/.400/.308, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (14): .154/.143/.154, 1 RBI
Alfonso Soriano (5): .600/.600/1.800, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Brian Roberts (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two