Tuesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Erik Johnson
|04.15.14 at 9:15 am ET|
Peavy heads into Tuesday’s game in search of his first win of the season. Despite giving up just three earned runs in a total of 12 2/3 innings this season, Peavy received a no-decision in each of his two starts. During his last outing, a game against the Rangers last Wednesday, Peavy gave up one earned run on three hits over 6 2/3 innings. The Red Sox went on to win that game in the eighth inning when David Ortiz hit a three-run home run to put Boston on top 4-2.
“That stat means nothing to me. It really doesn’t,” Peavy said Wednesday of not having a win yet this season. “We won [against Texas]. I’m more on the team win on my fifth day. I take them hard. Losing to Milwaukee on Opening Day was tough. I feel like I got the win today just as much as the 24 other guys feel the same, especially at this point in time.”
Peavy faced the White Sox for the first and only time in his career on Aug. 31, 2013. The 32-year-old righty earned the win after he scattered two runs and five hits over seven innings. Boston eventually won the game 7-2. Peavy came to Boston halfway through the 2013 season after spending 4 1/2 years with Chicago.
While Peavy has limited experience against Chicago, Johnson has even less against the Red Sox as the 24-year-old, who is in his second season in the majors, has never faced Boston.
Johnson struggled in his first outing of the year as he earned the loss after giving up seven earned runs over 4 2/3 innings. In his most recent start, a game against the Rockies last Wednesday, Johnson picked up a no-decision after he gave up four earned runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Red Sox vs. Johnson (RHP)
No current Red Sox have faced Johnson.
White Sox vs. Peavy (RHP)
Adam Dunn (39 plate appearances): .161 AVG/.308 OBP/.355 SLG, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 7 walks, 11 strikeouts
Jordan Danks (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Conor Gillaspie (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Alejandro De Aza is hitless but has one RBI in three plate appearances vs. Peavy.
Paul Konerko has one strikeout in three plate appearances.
Alexei Ramirez has one hit in three plate appearances.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela