Tuesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Erik Johnson
|04.15.14 at 9:15 am ET|
Peavy heads into Tuesday’s game in search of his first win of the season. Despite giving up just three earned runs in a total of 12 2/3 innings this season, Peavy received a no-decision in each of his two starts. During his last outing, a game against the Rangers last Wednesday, Peavy gave up one earned run on three hits over 6 2/3 innings. The Red Sox went on to win that game in the eighth inning when David Ortiz hit a three-run home run to put Boston on top 4-2.
“That stat means nothing to me. It really doesn’t,” Peavy said Wednesday of not having a win yet this season. “We won [against Texas]. I’m more on the team win on my fifth day. I take them hard. Losing to Milwaukee on Opening Day was tough. I feel like I got the win today just as much as the 24 other guys feel the same, especially at this point in time.”
Peavy faced the White Sox for the first and only time in his career on Aug. 31, 2013. The 32-year-old righty earned the win after he scattered two runs and five hits over seven innings. Boston eventually won the game 7-2. Peavy came to Boston halfway through the 2013 season after spending 4 1/2 years with Chicago.
While Peavy has limited experience against Chicago, Johnson has even less against the Red Sox as the 24-year-old, who is in his second season in the majors, has never faced Boston.
Johnson struggled in his first outing of the year as he earned the loss after giving up seven earned runs over 4 2/3 innings. In his most recent start, a game against the Rockies last Wednesday, Johnson picked up a no-decision after he gave up four earned runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Red Sox vs. Johnson (RHP)
No current Red Sox have faced Johnson.
White Sox vs. Peavy (RHP)
Adam Dunn (39 plate appearances): .161 AVG/.308 OBP/.355 SLG, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 7 walks, 11 strikeouts
Jordan Danks (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Conor Gillaspie (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Alejandro De Aza is hitless but has one RBI in three plate appearances vs. Peavy.
Paul Konerko has one strikeout in three plate appearances.
Alexei Ramirez has one hit in three plate appearances.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox