Wednesday’s Red Sox-White Sox matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. John Danks
|04.16.14 at 8:16 am ET|
After struggling in his first appearance of the season, Buchholz inched closer to form in his most recent outing despite picking up the loss. Buchholz gave up four runs, two of which were earned, on seven hits and six strikeouts during six innings against the Yankees last Thursday. New York went on to win that game 4-1.
“I felt a lot better,” Buchholz said after the game, (via MLB.com). “Just in the last five days, with my arm strength and everything, it got a lot better within a five-day span. Usually it doesn’t happen that quick. I felt a lot more comfortable with each pitch out there tonight. I’ve got to minimize the damage a little bit more in a couple of spots. Other than that I felt like I threw the ball pretty well.”
Buchholz last took on the White Sox on May 22, 2013, when he scattered five hits and just one run over seven innings on the mound. The game, which Boston eventually won 6-2, was Buchholz’s seventh victory of the season. Overall, Buchholz holds a 2-2 record in six starts against the White Sox with a 4.29 ERA and a WHIP of 1.29.
Danks comes into the start after earning his first win of the season last Thursday when he faced off against the Indians. After giving up two runs in the first, the 29-year-old lefty limited Cleveland to three overall runs on six hits and four strikeouts over six innings.
In his last appearance against the Red Sox — a game on Aug. 31, 2013 — Danks gave up six runs, five earned, on 11 hits over five innings. The loss was his 11th of the season and went along with a trend of Danks struggling against Boston. In nine starts, Danks has gone 3-6 with a 5.37 ERA and a WHIP of 1.44.
Red Sox vs. Danks (LHP)
Mike Napoli (28 plate appearances): .222 AVG/.250 OBP/.259 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 13 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (23): .143/.217/.143, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (20): .118/.211/.118, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (17): .294/.294/.647, 2 HR, 5 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (11): .273/.273/.636, 1 double, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Mike Carp has two strikeouts in four plate appearances vs. Danks.
Xander Bogaerts (3); 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Ryan Roberts (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double. 1 strikeout
David Ross (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 double
White Sox vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Paul Konerko (17): .467/.529/.733, 1 double, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Alexei Ramirez (16): .214/.250/.214, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Alejandro De Aza (8): .286/.375/.429, 1 double. 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Adam Dunn (7): .000/.143/.000, 1 walk. 3 strikeouts
Dayan Viciedo has one strikeout in six plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Conor Gillaspie is hitless in three plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Tyler Flowers (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot