Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli returns against White Sox left-hander Chris Sale
|04.17.14 at 4:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be going up against one of the top young pitchers in the game in White Sox left-hander Chris Sale, and so it was likely with a mixture of relief and excitement that Red Sox manager John Farrell was able to write Mike Napoli‘s name back into the cleanup spot in his lineup. After he suffered a gruesome dislocation of the ring finger on his left hand in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s game, Napoli missed Wednesday’s 14-inning marathon. But the one day was all that he required to be ready for a return to action.
Dustin Pedroia will remain in the leadoff spot, while Ryan Roberts gets the start at third base against the left-handed Sale. Grady Sizemore is sitting out of the contest, with Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in what appears increasingly like his everyday spot in center field, flanked by Jonny Gomes in left and Daniel Nava in right. David Ross gets the start at catcher for Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
David Ross, C
Daniel Nava, RF
Ryan Roberts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo