Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli returns against White Sox left-hander Chris Sale
|04.17.14 at 4:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be going up against one of the top young pitchers in the game in White Sox left-hander Chris Sale, and so it was likely with a mixture of relief and excitement that Red Sox manager John Farrell was able to write Mike Napoli‘s name back into the cleanup spot in his lineup. After he suffered a gruesome dislocation of the ring finger on his left hand in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s game, Napoli missed Wednesday’s 14-inning marathon. But the one day was all that he required to be ready for a return to action.
Dustin Pedroia will remain in the leadoff spot, while Ryan Roberts gets the start at third base against the left-handed Sale. Grady Sizemore is sitting out of the contest, with Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in what appears increasingly like his everyday spot in center field, flanked by Jonny Gomes in left and Daniel Nava in right. David Ross gets the start at catcher for Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
David Ross, C
Daniel Nava, RF
Ryan Roberts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017