Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli returns against White Sox left-hander Chris Sale
|04.17.14 at 4:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be going up against one of the top young pitchers in the game in White Sox left-hander Chris Sale, and so it was likely with a mixture of relief and excitement that Red Sox manager John Farrell was able to write Mike Napoli‘s name back into the cleanup spot in his lineup. After he suffered a gruesome dislocation of the ring finger on his left hand in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s game, Napoli missed Wednesday’s 14-inning marathon. But the one day was all that he required to be ready for a return to action.
Dustin Pedroia will remain in the leadoff spot, while Ryan Roberts gets the start at third base against the left-handed Sale. Grady Sizemore is sitting out of the contest, with Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in what appears increasingly like his everyday spot in center field, flanked by Jonny Gomes in left and Daniel Nava in right. David Ross gets the start at catcher for Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
David Ross, C
Daniel Nava, RF
Ryan Roberts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler