Red Sox lineup: Mike Napoli returns against White Sox left-hander Chris Sale
|04.17.14 at 4:51 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be going up against one of the top young pitchers in the game in White Sox left-hander Chris Sale, and so it was likely with a mixture of relief and excitement that Red Sox manager John Farrell was able to write Mike Napoli‘s name back into the cleanup spot in his lineup. After he suffered a gruesome dislocation of the ring finger on his left hand in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s game, Napoli missed Wednesday’s 14-inning marathon. But the one day was all that he required to be ready for a return to action.
Dustin Pedroia will remain in the leadoff spot, while Ryan Roberts gets the start at third base against the left-handed Sale. Grady Sizemore is sitting out of the contest, with Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in what appears increasingly like his everyday spot in center field, flanked by Jonny Gomes in left and Daniel Nava in right. David Ross gets the start at catcher for Jon Lester.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
David Ross, C
Daniel Nava, RF
Ryan Roberts, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion