Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: John Lackey vs. Chris Tillman
|04.18.14 at 8:47 am ET|
Lackey will come into his fourth start of the season after picking up his first loss in his last outing, a weekend tilt against the Yankees. The veteran righty failed to make it through the sixth inning after he allowed six earned runs and 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings. Despite a two-run seventh, Boston could not overcome the deficit, eventually losing the game 7-4
“He paid for some pitches that were up in the strike zone,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said, (via MLB.com). “Warmer weather, the ball was really carrying here today, but still, it was the mistakes up in the strike zone today.”
Lackey last faced off against the Orioles during Boston’s first win of the season. Over six innings on the mound, Lackey gave up two earned runs on three hits with six strikeouts en route to a 6-2 Sox win. The two runs came on a home run by Nelson Cruz during the fourth inning. Overall, Lackey holds a 14-5 record with a 3.33 ERA and a WHIP of 1.19 in 24 starts against Baltimore.
Like Lackey, Tillman enters Friday’s game after picking up his first loss of the season. Tillman gave up two runs, neither of which was earned, on three hits over eight innings against the Blue Jays on April 11. Baltimore ultimately lost the game 2-0.
Tillman last took on the Red Sox during the Orioles’ Opening Day win on March 31. Tillman received a no-decision after he gave up one earned run on seven hits over five innings. The lone run came on a solo home run by Grady Sizemore. The 26-year-old righty, who has a 1-1 record with a 0.84 ERA this season, has a career 4-2 record against the Red Sox with a 2.67 ERA and a WHIP of 1.26.
Orioles vs. Lackey (RHP)
Nick Markakis (63 plate appearances): .333/.397/.439, 4 doubles, 1 triple. 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 12 strikeouts
Adam Jones (47): .222/.234/.467, 1 triple, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 walk, 13 strikeouts
Chris Davis (35): .344/.400/.625, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (33): .258/.303/.387, 1 double, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (32): .188/.188/.188, 2 RBIs, 6 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (23): .150/.261/.150, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Delmon Young (18): .353/.389/.412, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Lough (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Ryan Flaherty has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Ubaldo Jimenez (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Steve Lombardozzi has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (33): .300/.333/.367, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs. 2 walks. 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (24): .200/.333/.300, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
David Ortiz (23): .105/.261/.105, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (18): .333/.444/.467, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts
Mike Carp (15): .143/.200/.143, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .167/.167/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI
Ryan Roberts (7): .200/.429/.800, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Jackie Bradley Jr. (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (5): .400/.400/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Jonny Gomes has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Tillman.
David Ross has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday