Friday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: John Lackey vs. Chris Tillman
|04.18.14 at 8:47 am ET|
Lackey will come into his fourth start of the season after picking up his first loss in his last outing, a weekend tilt against the Yankees. The veteran righty failed to make it through the sixth inning after he allowed six earned runs and 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings. Despite a two-run seventh, Boston could not overcome the deficit, eventually losing the game 7-4
“He paid for some pitches that were up in the strike zone,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said, (via MLB.com). “Warmer weather, the ball was really carrying here today, but still, it was the mistakes up in the strike zone today.”
Lackey last faced off against the Orioles during Boston’s first win of the season. Over six innings on the mound, Lackey gave up two earned runs on three hits with six strikeouts en route to a 6-2 Sox win. The two runs came on a home run by Nelson Cruz during the fourth inning. Overall, Lackey holds a 14-5 record with a 3.33 ERA and a WHIP of 1.19 in 24 starts against Baltimore.
Like Lackey, Tillman enters Friday’s game after picking up his first loss of the season. Tillman gave up two runs, neither of which was earned, on three hits over eight innings against the Blue Jays on April 11. Baltimore ultimately lost the game 2-0.
Tillman last took on the Red Sox during the Orioles’ Opening Day win on March 31. Tillman received a no-decision after he gave up one earned run on seven hits over five innings. The lone run came on a solo home run by Grady Sizemore. The 26-year-old righty, who has a 1-1 record with a 0.84 ERA this season, has a career 4-2 record against the Red Sox with a 2.67 ERA and a WHIP of 1.26.
Orioles vs. Lackey (RHP)
Nick Markakis (63 plate appearances): .333/.397/.439, 4 doubles, 1 triple. 4 RBIs, 5 walks, 12 strikeouts
Adam Jones (47): .222/.234/.467, 1 triple, 3 HR, 6 RBIs, 1 walk, 13 strikeouts
Chris Davis (35): .344/.400/.625, 3 doubles, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 3 walks, 8 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (33): .258/.303/.387, 1 double, 1 HR, 5 RBIs, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (32): .188/.188/.188, 2 RBIs, 6 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (23): .150/.261/.150, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Delmon Young (18): .353/.389/.412, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
David Lough (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Ryan Flaherty has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Ubaldo Jimenez (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Steve Lombardozzi has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (33): .300/.333/.367, 2 doubles, 4 RBIs. 2 walks. 2 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (24): .200/.333/.300, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
David Ortiz (23): .105/.261/.105, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (18): .333/.444/.467, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts
Mike Carp (15): .143/.200/.143, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (12): .167/.167/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI
Ryan Roberts (7): .200/.429/.800, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Xander Bogaerts has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Jackie Bradley Jr. (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (5): .400/.400/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Jonny Gomes has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Tillman.
David Ross has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Tillman.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise