Red Sox lineup: Grady Sizemore meets the Monster
|04.18.14 at 5:55 pm ET|
A Red Sox lineup in a constant state of flux features another new wrinkle on Friday, as Brock Holt — recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket — will start at third base and bat ninth against Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman. Holt had been enjoying a tremendous start in Pawtucket, hitting .380/.446/.600 in 56 plate appearances.
The Sox lineup will also feature some additional wrinkles. David Ortiz has a scheduled day off, and so Mike Napoli will serve as designated hitter while Mike Carp plays first base. With Ortiz out, Dustin Pedroia is moving down to the third spot in the order, behind leadoff man Grady Sizemore (playing left) and Daniel Nava (playing right).
While Sizemore has seen time both in the leadoff spot and in left field this season, he has yet to play in his career in front of the fabled Green Monster. Sizemore received something of a crash course in playing the Wall from outfield and first base coach Arnie Beyeler on Friday afternoon, but Farrell didn’t attempt to pretend that there will be a degree of foreignness to Sizemore’s task.
“Grady has not played left field in this ballpark,” said Farrell. “We can’t go out and have so much repetition to get him comfortable with it this afternoon. He’s going to get some. But he’s in left field.”
RED SOX LINEUP
Grady Sizemore, LF
Daniel Nava, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mike Napoli, DH
Mike Carp, 1B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Brock Holt, 3B
John Lackey, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo