Saturday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Bud Norris
|04.19.14 at 9:14 am ET|
Doubront enters Saturday’s game after picking up his second consecutive loss of the season during a game against the Yankees on Sunday. The 26-year-old southpaw gave up three earned runs on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts during 6 2/3 innings on the mound. Two of those runs came on a two-run shot by Carlos Beltran during the third inning.
“He was good,” catcher A.J. Pierzynski said of Doubront’s performance (via MLB.com). “When he throws the ball over the plate, he’s as good as anybody. I think, what, two of the walks scored. It just drives his pitch count up. It puts him in situations he shouldn’t be in. Other than that, he threw the ball well.”
Doubront’s lone win of the season came in his first start — a game against the Orioles on April 3. The lefty lasted 5 1/3 innings while giving up three earned runs on six hits with one walk and four strikeouts. Boston went on to win the game 4-3. In 10 career appearances against Baltimore, Doubront has gone 2-2 with a 4.61 ERA and a WHIP of 1.29.
Unlike Doubront, Norris comes into Saturday’s game after tossing a gem against the Blue Jays last Saturday. The 29-year-old scattered five hits with three walks and four strikeouts over seven scoreless innings in what ultimately was an extra-inning win for the Orioles.
Norris last faced off against the Red Sox on Aug. 28, 2013, in a game that featured a late-inning Boston comeback. Norris got a no-decision after he gave up one earned run on four hits and four walks over 5 1/3 innings. Norris also compiled seven strikeouts. Once Norris left the game, though, the Orioles bullpen gave up three runs in the seventh and eighth, leading to a 4-3 Red Sox win. Overall, Norris has made just three starts against Boston. During those outings, Norris has accumulated a 4.15 ERA and a 1.56 WHIP.
Orioles vs. Doubront (LHP)
Adam Jones (21 plate appearances): .106 AVG/.190 OBP/.105 SLG, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Chris Davis (20): .444/.500/.722, 2 doubles, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (20): .167/.250/.222, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (19): .111/.158/.167, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walks, 10 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (14): .462/.500/.462, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (10): .375/.500/.500. 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Steve Pearce (7): .000/.571/.000, 3 walks
Ryan Flaherty (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Delmon Young (4): .500/.500/1.250, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Jonathan Schoop (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Steve Clevenger has one hit in one at-bat vs. Doubront.
Red Sox vs. Norris (RHP)
Jonathan Herrera (12): .111/.273/.111, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Roberts (11): .364/.364/.909, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (9): .250/.667/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 5 walks
Jonny Gomes (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 RBI, 1 walk. 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (6): .167/.167/.167, 4 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): 1.000/1.000/1.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk
David Ross (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 HR, 1 RBI
A.J. Pierzynski (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Xander Bogaerts is hitless in two at-bats vs. Norris.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs