Red Sox remember last year’s Boston Marathon tragedy in moving pregame ceremony
|04.20.14 at 7:39 pm ET|
On the eve of the 118th Boston Marathon, prior to their game against the Orioles, the Red Sox recognized last year’s Boston Marathon bombing victims and heroes in a moving and emotional pregame ceremony.
Following a video montage showing how far many of the survivors have come and how much support the city has received, the UMass marching band played “Highland Cathedral” to remember Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and MIT officer Sean Collier as well as to honor the first responders and medical personnel with police, doctors and nurses joining the band on the field.
Following them onto the field were some of the survivors, led by Jeff Bauman and Carlos Arredondo appearing from left field all wearing “Boston” jerseys. Finally, led by Dick and Rick Hoyt, runners ran toward the infield from center field, joining the half circle formed along the infield.
Lining the outfield warning track during the ceremony were canvases bearing inscriptions of good will from all 50 United States, along with all Major League Baseball teams and members of Congress.
The first pitch was thrown by One Fund President Jim Gallagher to David Ortiz, as prominent government officials including Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and former Boston Mayor Tom Menino stood behind.
The ceremony concluded with the Red Sox and Orioles lining the first and third base lines, joining the marching band and the Boston Pipers Society as well as the fans at Fenway Park in the singing of the national anthem.
It was just the latest in what the Red Sox have done in wake of last year’s tragic event.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins