Red Sox remember last year’s Boston Marathon tragedy in moving pregame ceremony
|04.20.14 at 7:39 pm ET|
On the eve of the 118th Boston Marathon, prior to their game against the Orioles, the Red Sox recognized last year’s Boston Marathon bombing victims and heroes in a moving and emotional pregame ceremony.
Following a video montage showing how far many of the survivors have come and how much support the city has received, the UMass marching band played “Highland Cathedral” to remember Krystle Campbell, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu and MIT officer Sean Collier as well as to honor the first responders and medical personnel with police, doctors and nurses joining the band on the field.
Following them onto the field were some of the survivors, led by Jeff Bauman and Carlos Arredondo appearing from left field all wearing “Boston” jerseys. Finally, led by Dick and Rick Hoyt, runners ran toward the infield from center field, joining the half circle formed along the infield.
Lining the outfield warning track during the ceremony were canvases bearing inscriptions of good will from all 50 United States, along with all Major League Baseball teams and members of Congress.
The first pitch was thrown by One Fund President Jim Gallagher to David Ortiz, as prominent government officials including Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and former Boston Mayor Tom Menino stood behind.
The ceremony concluded with the Red Sox and Orioles lining the first and third base lines, joining the marching band and the Boston Pipers Society as well as the fans at Fenway Park in the singing of the national anthem.
It was just the latest in what the Red Sox have done in wake of last year’s tragic event.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles