Sunday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Ubaldo Jimenez
|04.20.14 at 9:37 am ET|
Peavy is the only Red Sox starting pitcher without a win or loss, despite pitching well. In his three starts this season, Peavy has posted a 1.93 ERA and a 1.179 WHIP while striking out 20 and walking 10.
The 32-year-old’s last start came on April 15 against his former team, the White Sox. Peavy went six innings that day, giving up one run on a home run. The Red Sox lost the game in the bottom of the ninth inning, 2-1. The game was noted for being particularly cold, averaging around 40 degrees throughout.
“We battled through six, gave us a chance to win,” Peavy said after the game. “That’s what I’m trying to do on my fifth day”
Peavy has made three starts against the Orioles, going 2-0 in those games. His first start against them came in 2007, when he pitched six innings and gave up three runs on six hits, striking out seven and walking two. It wouldn’t be until 2012 when Peavy faced the Orioles again, this time pitching seven innings and allowing one run on four hits. Both games were wins. His last start against the Orioles came in 2013 when he went seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits, striking out eight and walking one.
Jimenez has struggled in 2014, going 0-3 with a 7.31 ERA and a 2.063 WHIP. His last start came against the Blue Jays on April 13, when he went 5 1/3 innings and surrendered five runs on 10 hits and two home runs while walking two and striking out three.
The 30-year-old has struggled against the Red Sox in five career starts, going 1-3 with a 10.27 ERA. His worst game came last year when he only last 1 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs and five walks. Jimenez faced the Red Sox this year, his season debut on April 2, pitching six innings and allowing four runs on five hits and two home runs.
Orioles vs. Peavy (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (20 plate appearances): .059 AVG/.200 OBP/.118 SLG, 1 double, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Delmon Young (15): .231/.333/.538, 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (9): .375/.444/.375, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (8): .286/.375/.571, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Adam Jones (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Matt Wieters (6): .333/.333/.667, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
David Lough (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI
Chris Davis has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Peavy.
Steve Clevenger has two strikeouts in four plate appearances.
Ryan Flaherty, Steve Lombardozzi, Steve Pearce and Jonathan Schoop have not faced Peavy.
Red Sox vs. Jimenez (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (20): .200/.200/.450, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (17): .333/.412/.733, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (14): .538/.571/.615, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (10): .375/.500/.750, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (9): .143/.333/.571, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (7): .571/.571/1.571, 1 double, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs
David Ross (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Xander Bogaerts has a single and two walks in three plate appearances vs. Jimenez
Grady Sizemore has a strikeout in three plate appearances
Jackie Bradley, Mike Carp, Jonathan Herrera and Brock Holt have not faced Jimenez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts