Sunday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Ubaldo Jimenez
|04.20.14 at 9:37 am ET|
Peavy is the only Red Sox starting pitcher without a win or loss, despite pitching well. In his three starts this season, Peavy has posted a 1.93 ERA and a 1.179 WHIP while striking out 20 and walking 10.
The 32-year-old’s last start came on April 15 against his former team, the White Sox. Peavy went six innings that day, giving up one run on a home run. The Red Sox lost the game in the bottom of the ninth inning, 2-1. The game was noted for being particularly cold, averaging around 40 degrees throughout.
“We battled through six, gave us a chance to win,” Peavy said after the game. “That’s what I’m trying to do on my fifth day”
Peavy has made three starts against the Orioles, going 2-0 in those games. His first start against them came in 2007, when he pitched six innings and gave up three runs on six hits, striking out seven and walking two. It wouldn’t be until 2012 when Peavy faced the Orioles again, this time pitching seven innings and allowing one run on four hits. Both games were wins. His last start against the Orioles came in 2013 when he went seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits, striking out eight and walking one.
Jimenez has struggled in 2014, going 0-3 with a 7.31 ERA and a 2.063 WHIP. His last start came against the Blue Jays on April 13, when he went 5 1/3 innings and surrendered five runs on 10 hits and two home runs while walking two and striking out three.
The 30-year-old has struggled against the Red Sox in five career starts, going 1-3 with a 10.27 ERA. His worst game came last year when he only last 1 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs and five walks. Jimenez faced the Red Sox this year, his season debut on April 2, pitching six innings and allowing four runs on five hits and two home runs.
Orioles vs. Peavy (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (20 plate appearances): .059 AVG/.200 OBP/.118 SLG, 1 double, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Delmon Young (15): .231/.333/.538, 1 double, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (9): .375/.444/.375, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Nelson Cruz (8): .286/.375/.571, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Adam Jones (6): .200/.333/.400, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Matt Wieters (6): .333/.333/.667, 2 doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 strikeouts
David Lough (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 RBI
Chris Davis has two strikeouts in five plate appearances vs. Peavy.
Steve Clevenger has two strikeouts in four plate appearances.
Ryan Flaherty, Steve Lombardozzi, Steve Pearce and Jonathan Schoop have not faced Peavy.
Red Sox vs. Jimenez (RHP)
A.J. Pierzynski (20): .200/.200/.450, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (17): .333/.412/.733, 2 home runs, 5 RBIs, 2 walks, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (14): .538/.571/.615, 1 double, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Daniel Nava (10): .375/.500/.750, 3 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
David Ortiz (9): .143/.333/.571, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (7): .571/.571/1.571, 1 double, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs
David Ross (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Xander Bogaerts has a single and two walks in three plate appearances vs. Jimenez
Grady Sizemore has a strikeout in three plate appearances
Jackie Bradley, Mike Carp, Jonathan Herrera and Brock Holt have not faced Jimenez.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101