Tuesday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. Masahiro Tanaka
|04.22.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Lester has had arguably the best start to the season of any Boston starter. The 30-year-old comes into Tuesday’s contest on a two-game winning streak after he defeated the White Sox on Thursday. After five scoreless innings, and with a 1-0 lead, Lester gave up the game-tying run in the sixth. Boston went on to score two runs in the ninth to come away with the 3-1 victory.
“It’s a heavyweight bout tonight,” Lester said after the game (via MLB.com). “It’s kind of who was going to make the mistake first. He did, and then I gave it right back. Like I said, it was a fun night to pitch. If you don’t like that pitching, you don’t like baseball. That was a lot of fun tonight.”
The southpaw picked up his first win of the season on April 11 after he gave up two earned runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings against the Yankees. One of those two runs came on a solo homer by Alfonso Soriano during the second inning. In a total of 27 starts against New York, Lester holds a 12-5 record with a 3.90 ERA and a WHIP of 1.40.
While Lester has eight seasons of experience against the Yankees, Tanaka, who signed with the Yankees as a free agent following a standout season in Japan last year, is facing the Red Sox for the first time. Tanaka enters the game after earning his second win of the season Wednesday against the Cubs. The 25-year-old gave up just two hits and struck out 10 for the second consecutive game during eight scoreless innings on the mound. Tanaka has an overall 2-0 record with a 2.05 ERA and 0.77 WHIP on the year.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (72 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.389 OBP/.394 SLG, 1 double, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (54): .208/.296/.458, 6 doubles, 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 6 walks, 10 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (52): .333/.346/.451, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (50): .222/.300/.311, 1 double, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 4 walks, 17 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (17): .067/.176/.067, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (16): .313/.313/.500, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Carlos Beltran (6): .250/.500/.250, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Brian McCann (4): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
J.R. Murphy (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Yangervis Solarte has two strikeouts in three plate appearances vs. Lester.
Red Sox vs. Tanaka (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Tanaka.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016