Tuesday’s Red Sox-Yankees matchups: Jon Lester vs. Masahiro Tanaka
|04.22.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Lester has had arguably the best start to the season of any Boston starter. The 30-year-old comes into Tuesday’s contest on a two-game winning streak after he defeated the White Sox on Thursday. After five scoreless innings, and with a 1-0 lead, Lester gave up the game-tying run in the sixth. Boston went on to score two runs in the ninth to come away with the 3-1 victory.
“It’s a heavyweight bout tonight,” Lester said after the game (via MLB.com). “It’s kind of who was going to make the mistake first. He did, and then I gave it right back. Like I said, it was a fun night to pitch. If you don’t like that pitching, you don’t like baseball. That was a lot of fun tonight.”
The southpaw picked up his first win of the season on April 11 after he gave up two earned runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings against the Yankees. One of those two runs came on a solo homer by Alfonso Soriano during the second inning. In a total of 27 starts against New York, Lester holds a 12-5 record with a 3.90 ERA and a WHIP of 1.40.
While Lester has eight seasons of experience against the Yankees, Tanaka, who signed with the Yankees as a free agent following a standout season in Japan last year, is facing the Red Sox for the first time. Tanaka enters the game after earning his second win of the season Wednesday against the Cubs. The 25-year-old gave up just two hits and struck out 10 for the second consecutive game during eight scoreless innings on the mound. Tanaka has an overall 2-0 record with a 2.05 ERA and 0.77 WHIP on the year.
Yankees vs. Lester (LHP)
Derek Jeter (72 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.389 OBP/.394 SLG, 1 double, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
Brian Roberts (54): .208/.296/.458, 6 doubles, 2 HR, 2 RBIs, 6 walks, 10 strikeouts
Ichiro Suzuki (52): .333/.346/.451, 2 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Mark Teixeira (50): .222/.300/.311, 1 double, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 4 walks, 17 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (17): .067/.176/.067, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Alfonso Soriano (16): .313/.313/.500, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 5 strikeouts
Brett Gardner (12): .182/.250/.182, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Carlos Beltran (6): .250/.500/.250, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Brian McCann (4): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
J.R. Murphy (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Yangervis Solarte has two strikeouts in three plate appearances vs. Lester.
Red Sox vs. Tanaka (RHP)
No current Red Sox batters have faced Tanaka.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes