Michael Pineda ejected from game in second inning for apparently using pine tar
|04.23.14 at 8:00 pm ET|
Yankees starter Michael Pineda was ejected from his start against the Red Sox Wednesday night after home plate umpire Gerry Davis determined the pitcher had what appeared to be a significant amount of pine tar on the right side of his neck.
Davis was alerted to the substance by Red Sox manager John Farrell with two outs and Grady Sizemore at bat, with the righty having already thrown 40 pitches and given up two first-inning runs. The umpire proceeded to come out to the mound, checking Pineda’s glove and hand before identifying the pine tar on his neck.
Cameras showed Pineda did not have the substance on his neck in the first inning.
Rule 8.02 of in the Major League Rulebook states: ‘The pitcher shall not apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball.’ (Click here for the rule.)
Pineda had come under scrutiny in his previous start against the Red Sox (April 10), possessing what appeared to be a significant amount of pine tar on his wrist. (For a recap of that incident, click here.)
Farrell had said after the previous appearance that the Red Sox didn’t notice the discoloration until it was too late, with Pineda having cleaned off the substance when coming on for the fifth inning.
Michael Phelps replaced Pineda, striking out Sizemore to end the second.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort