Michael Pineda ejected from game in second inning for apparently using pine tar
|04.23.14 at 8:00 pm ET|
Yankees starter Michael Pineda was ejected from his start against the Red Sox Wednesday night after home plate umpire Gerry Davis determined the pitcher had what appeared to be a significant amount of pine tar on the right side of his neck.
Davis was alerted to the substance by Red Sox manager John Farrell with two outs and Grady Sizemore at bat, with the righty having already thrown 40 pitches and given up two first-inning runs. The umpire proceeded to come out to the mound, checking Pineda’s glove and hand before identifying the pine tar on his neck.
Cameras showed Pineda did not have the substance on his neck in the first inning.
Rule 8.02 of in the Major League Rulebook states: ‘The pitcher shall not apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball.’ (Click here for the rule.)
Pineda had come under scrutiny in his previous start against the Red Sox (April 10), possessing what appeared to be a significant amount of pine tar on his wrist. (For a recap of that incident, click here.)
Farrell had said after the previous appearance that the Red Sox didn’t notice the discoloration until it was too late, with Pineda having cleaned off the substance when coming on for the fifth inning.
Michael Phelps replaced Pineda, striking out Sizemore to end the second.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs