Brock Holt optioned back to Triple-A
|04.24.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
After the team’s ugliest loss of the season on Thursday, Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that the team had optioned Brock Holt back to Triple-A Pawtucket in advance of the team activating third basemen Will Middlebrooks on Friday.
Holt went 0-for-3 with a walk and had an error at third during Boston’s 14-5 loss to the Yankees on Thursday. The hitless night was Holt’s first since he was called up on April 18 to replace Ryan Roberts and fill the void left by Middlebrooks’ calf injury. In seven games with the Red Sox, Holt hit .348 with a .429 on-base percentage and knocked in four runs.
Before Thursday’s game, Farrell said that Holt gave the team “a jolt in the arm.”
“When he came to us, we hoped he would spark the bottom third of the order,” Farrell said. “He’s done exactly that. He’s been fine defensively at third base, he’s given us quality at-bats — even in situations where he’s made an out, he’s been working the count deep and he’s gotten on base at a high rate.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair
- Cup of Coffee: Tavarez leads Portland to doubleheader split