Brock Holt optioned back to Triple-A
|04.24.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
After the team’s ugliest loss of the season on Thursday, Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that the team had optioned Brock Holt back to Triple-A Pawtucket in advance of the team activating third basemen Will Middlebrooks on Friday.
Holt went 0-for-3 with a walk and had an error at third during Boston’s 14-5 loss to the Yankees on Thursday. The hitless night was Holt’s first since he was called up on April 18 to replace Ryan Roberts and fill the void left by Middlebrooks’ calf injury. In seven games with the Red Sox, Holt hit .348 with a .429 on-base percentage and knocked in four runs.
Before Thursday’s game, Farrell said that Holt gave the team “a jolt in the arm.”
“When he came to us, we hoped he would spark the bottom third of the order,” Farrell said. “He’s done exactly that. He’s been fine defensively at third base, he’s given us quality at-bats — even in situations where he’s made an out, he’s been working the count deep and he’s gotten on base at a high rate.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday