Brock Holt optioned back to Triple-A
|04.24.14 at 11:59 pm ET|
After the team’s ugliest loss of the season on Thursday, Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that the team had optioned Brock Holt back to Triple-A Pawtucket in advance of the team activating third basemen Will Middlebrooks on Friday.
Holt went 0-for-3 with a walk and had an error at third during Boston’s 14-5 loss to the Yankees on Thursday. The hitless night was Holt’s first since he was called up on April 18 to replace Ryan Roberts and fill the void left by Middlebrooks’ calf injury. In seven games with the Red Sox, Holt hit .348 with a .429 on-base percentage and knocked in four runs.
Before Thursday’s game, Farrell said that Holt gave the team “a jolt in the arm.”
“When he came to us, we hoped he would spark the bottom third of the order,” Farrell said. “He’s done exactly that. He’s been fine defensively at third base, he’s given us quality at-bats — even in situations where he’s made an out, he’s been working the count deep and he’s gotten on base at a high rate.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston