John Farrell, David Ross react to Michael Pineda’s suspension
|04.24.14 at 7:43 pm ET|
Before the Red Sox and New York faced off in the final game of their three-game series, Major League Baseball announced that Yankee pitcher Michael Pineda was suspended for 10 games after he used a foreign substance, believed to be pine tar, Wednesday night.
Pineda’s blatant use of a foreign subject was once again the main point of conversation on Thursday as news of the suspension reached both the players and manager John Farrell.
“I think when a player goes down that path you’re assuming the potential consequence, and that’s what’s been handed down,” Farrell said.
Farrell added that he did not think the league needed to change its policies.
“I think there are some things, and this being one of them inside the game, that pitchers, particularly in climates like last night, you’re looking for some sort of grip. I think there are ways you can be a little more discrete. … I don’t think this is something that is in need of a rule change. It seemingly has worked fine for a number of years.”
“We’re out for what’s best for the game of baseball, and what’s best for the game of baseball is guys being able to perform to their best ability without cheating,” Ross said. ‘That being said, there’s always issues that come up throughout the year and things that — I’ve been around for a little while now and things you see, they’re kind of unwritten rules as you go along, but you just can’t have an obvious incident like yesterday.”
Despite the team’s decision to point out Pineda’s use of a foreign substance during Wednesday’s game, Ross did not think that it would impact the way Boston’s pitchers were treated in the future.
“I don’t really think that’s what the incident created,” Ross said. “I think that was more of just an obvious, blatant disregard for professionalism, and I think he’s learned from that and we’re not out to do ticky-tack things. We’re worried about the Red Sox and our pitchers are some of the best in the game, and they don’t need — none of our guys are so-called cheating, I guess, and especially not in that blatant way.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller