Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mark Buehrle
|04.25.14 at 9:13 am ET|
Despite starting in four games so far this season, Peavy enters Friday’s contest as the only Boston starter who does not have a win or loss on his record. Peavy’s most recent no-decision came Sunday, when he gave up five earned runs on 10 hits and four walks with five strikeouts against the Orioles. Three of those runs came during the first inning. Thanks to a late Red Sox comeback and Baltimore’s ninth-inning walk-off error, Boston went on to win, 6-5.
“I thought it was a great win,” Peavy said after the game (via MLB.com). “I thought the boys fought hard. I mean, it was crazy. But at the end of the day, any time the boys win, it’s always a good day.”
The 32-year-old Peavy has made just six starts against the Blue Jays during his 11-year career. In his most recent appearance against Toronto (Aug. 15, 2013), Peavy gave up two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss. Overall, Peavy has a 2-1 record with a 3.51 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP against the Blue Jays.
During that same Aug. 15 game, Buehrle came away with the win, limiting the Red Sox to just one run over seven innings. That victory marked one of two for Buehrle over Boston during the 2013 season. In his most recent outing against the Red Sox (Sept. 21, 2013), Buehrle once again held Boston to one run on five hits during six innings in another win. In 24 appearances against the Red Sox, Buehrle holds an 8-9 record with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP.
To this point in the 2014 season, Buehrle has earned a win in every game he’s pitched, good for a 4-0 record with a 0.64 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP. During his most recent start, a tilt against the Indians, Buehrle scattered four hits and three walks over seven scoreless innings. Buehrle has given up no more than one earned run in a game this season, and has only done so on two occasions.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (78 plate appearances); .329 AVG/.372 OBP/.575 SLG, 9 doubles, 3 HR, 13 RBIs, 5 walks, 8 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (73): .217/.260/.420, 2 doubles, 4 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (36): .364/.400/.455, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (33): .321/.394/.464, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .211/.273/.368, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (21): .400/.429/.400, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera is hitless with one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Xander Bogaerts is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Blue Jays vs. Peavy (RHP)
Edwin Encarnacion (24): .238/.333/.286, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (21): .238/.238/.238, 4 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (20): .176/.300/.176, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (12): .455/.500/.545, 1 double, 1 walk
Brett Lawrie (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (6): .167/.167/.167
Dioner Navarro (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (3): 1.000/.1000/2.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance