Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mark Buehrle
|04.25.14 at 9:13 am ET|
Despite starting in four games so far this season, Peavy enters Friday’s contest as the only Boston starter who does not have a win or loss on his record. Peavy’s most recent no-decision came Sunday, when he gave up five earned runs on 10 hits and four walks with five strikeouts against the Orioles. Three of those runs came during the first inning. Thanks to a late Red Sox comeback and Baltimore’s ninth-inning walk-off error, Boston went on to win, 6-5.
“I thought it was a great win,” Peavy said after the game (via MLB.com). “I thought the boys fought hard. I mean, it was crazy. But at the end of the day, any time the boys win, it’s always a good day.”
The 32-year-old Peavy has made just six starts against the Blue Jays during his 11-year career. In his most recent appearance against Toronto (Aug. 15, 2013), Peavy gave up two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss. Overall, Peavy has a 2-1 record with a 3.51 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP against the Blue Jays.
During that same Aug. 15 game, Buehrle came away with the win, limiting the Red Sox to just one run over seven innings. That victory marked one of two for Buehrle over Boston during the 2013 season. In his most recent outing against the Red Sox (Sept. 21, 2013), Buehrle once again held Boston to one run on five hits during six innings in another win. In 24 appearances against the Red Sox, Buehrle holds an 8-9 record with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP.
To this point in the 2014 season, Buehrle has earned a win in every game he’s pitched, good for a 4-0 record with a 0.64 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP. During his most recent start, a tilt against the Indians, Buehrle scattered four hits and three walks over seven scoreless innings. Buehrle has given up no more than one earned run in a game this season, and has only done so on two occasions.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (78 plate appearances); .329 AVG/.372 OBP/.575 SLG, 9 doubles, 3 HR, 13 RBIs, 5 walks, 8 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (73): .217/.260/.420, 2 doubles, 4 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (36): .364/.400/.455, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (33): .321/.394/.464, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .211/.273/.368, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (21): .400/.429/.400, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera is hitless with one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Xander Bogaerts is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Blue Jays vs. Peavy (RHP)
Edwin Encarnacion (24): .238/.333/.286, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (21): .238/.238/.238, 4 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (20): .176/.300/.176, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (12): .455/.500/.545, 1 double, 1 walk
Brett Lawrie (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (6): .167/.167/.167
Dioner Navarro (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (3): 1.000/.1000/2.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins