Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mark Buehrle
|04.25.14 at 9:13 am ET|
Despite starting in four games so far this season, Peavy enters Friday’s contest as the only Boston starter who does not have a win or loss on his record. Peavy’s most recent no-decision came Sunday, when he gave up five earned runs on 10 hits and four walks with five strikeouts against the Orioles. Three of those runs came during the first inning. Thanks to a late Red Sox comeback and Baltimore’s ninth-inning walk-off error, Boston went on to win, 6-5.
“I thought it was a great win,” Peavy said after the game (via MLB.com). “I thought the boys fought hard. I mean, it was crazy. But at the end of the day, any time the boys win, it’s always a good day.”
The 32-year-old Peavy has made just six starts against the Blue Jays during his 11-year career. In his most recent appearance against Toronto (Aug. 15, 2013), Peavy gave up two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss. Overall, Peavy has a 2-1 record with a 3.51 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP against the Blue Jays.
During that same Aug. 15 game, Buehrle came away with the win, limiting the Red Sox to just one run over seven innings. That victory marked one of two for Buehrle over Boston during the 2013 season. In his most recent outing against the Red Sox (Sept. 21, 2013), Buehrle once again held Boston to one run on five hits during six innings in another win. In 24 appearances against the Red Sox, Buehrle holds an 8-9 record with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP.
To this point in the 2014 season, Buehrle has earned a win in every game he’s pitched, good for a 4-0 record with a 0.64 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP. During his most recent start, a tilt against the Indians, Buehrle scattered four hits and three walks over seven scoreless innings. Buehrle has given up no more than one earned run in a game this season, and has only done so on two occasions.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (78 plate appearances); .329 AVG/.372 OBP/.575 SLG, 9 doubles, 3 HR, 13 RBIs, 5 walks, 8 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (73): .217/.260/.420, 2 doubles, 4 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (36): .364/.400/.455, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (33): .321/.394/.464, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .211/.273/.368, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (21): .400/.429/.400, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera is hitless with one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Xander Bogaerts is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Blue Jays vs. Peavy (RHP)
Edwin Encarnacion (24): .238/.333/.286, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (21): .238/.238/.238, 4 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (20): .176/.300/.176, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (12): .455/.500/.545, 1 double, 1 walk
Brett Lawrie (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (6): .167/.167/.167
Dioner Navarro (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (3): 1.000/.1000/2.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept