Friday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mark Buehrle
|04.25.14 at 9:13 am ET|
Despite starting in four games so far this season, Peavy enters Friday’s contest as the only Boston starter who does not have a win or loss on his record. Peavy’s most recent no-decision came Sunday, when he gave up five earned runs on 10 hits and four walks with five strikeouts against the Orioles. Three of those runs came during the first inning. Thanks to a late Red Sox comeback and Baltimore’s ninth-inning walk-off error, Boston went on to win, 6-5.
“I thought it was a great win,” Peavy said after the game (via MLB.com). “I thought the boys fought hard. I mean, it was crazy. But at the end of the day, any time the boys win, it’s always a good day.”
The 32-year-old Peavy has made just six starts against the Blue Jays during his 11-year career. In his most recent appearance against Toronto (Aug. 15, 2013), Peavy gave up two runs on five hits over six innings in a loss. Overall, Peavy has a 2-1 record with a 3.51 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP against the Blue Jays.
During that same Aug. 15 game, Buehrle came away with the win, limiting the Red Sox to just one run over seven innings. That victory marked one of two for Buehrle over Boston during the 2013 season. In his most recent outing against the Red Sox (Sept. 21, 2013), Buehrle once again held Boston to one run on five hits during six innings in another win. In 24 appearances against the Red Sox, Buehrle holds an 8-9 record with a 4.35 ERA and a 1.43 WHIP.
To this point in the 2014 season, Buehrle has earned a win in every game he’s pitched, good for a 4-0 record with a 0.64 ERA and a 0.93 WHIP. During his most recent start, a tilt against the Indians, Buehrle scattered four hits and three walks over seven scoreless innings. Buehrle has given up no more than one earned run in a game this season, and has only done so on two occasions.
Red Sox vs. Buehrle (LHP)
David Ortiz (78 plate appearances); .329 AVG/.372 OBP/.575 SLG, 9 doubles, 3 HR, 13 RBIs, 5 walks, 8 strikeouts
Grady Sizemore (73): .217/.260/.420, 2 doubles, 4 HR, 8 RBIs, 2 walks, 10 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (36): .364/.400/.455, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (33): .321/.394/.464, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBIs, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (22): .211/.273/.368, 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (21): .400/.429/.400, 2 RBIs, 4 strikeouts
David Ross (13): .250/.308/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Jonathan Herrera is hitless with one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Xander Bogaerts is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buehrle.
Blue Jays vs. Peavy (RHP)
Edwin Encarnacion (24): .238/.333/.286, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (21): .238/.238/.238, 4 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (20): .176/.300/.176, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (12): .455/.500/.545, 1 double, 1 walk
Brett Lawrie (11): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (6): .167/.167/.167
Dioner Navarro (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (3): 1.000/.1000/2.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Eduardo Rodriguez to be recalled for Thursday start
- Cup of Coffee: Roof and Tekotte go back-to-back in Portland win
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker