Mike Carp makes first career pitching appearance in loss to Yankees
|04.25.14 at 12:30 am ET|
In an inning of brevity for the Red Sox, Mike Carp walked to the center of the diamond as he made his first career pitching appearance during 14-5 onslaught at the hands of the Yankees Thursday evening.
Carp, who has played both left field and first base this season, came in to pitch the ninth inning as part of manager John Farrell‘s attempt to save up his bullpen. Farrell had already utilized relievers Burke Badenhop, Craig Breslow and Edward Mujica in the game after Felix Dubront lasted a mere 2 2/3 innings on the mound.
“Any time you end up with a position player on the mound, it’s not been a good night,” Farrell said.
While Carp has not pitched since high school, the right-hander limited the Yankees to one run, did not give up a hit and even forced Brian McCann to hit into a double play. Carp’s problem was that he also walked five batters during the inning.
“Obviously I’m not trying to be too serious out there,” Carp said. “[I’m] trying to get some outs. Unfortunately, you end up walking a few guys, but it’s definitely a cool experience.”
Many of the Yankees batters watched as Carp’s fastball, which capped out in the low-80s, and his knuckleball, which went as high as the mid-60s, skirted just outside the plate.
“Hopefully that’s because of the movement on the ball,” Carp said. “Nobody hit the ball hard, so that was a plus.”
Carp added that although it was a disappointing lost, he enjoyed his time on the mound.
“It was fun,” Carp said. “Just a rough ball game, but like I said, to get out there and have a little kid’s dream of pitching in a big-league ballgame, especially as a hitter.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller