Mike Carp makes first career pitching appearance in loss to Yankees
|04.25.14 at 12:30 am ET|
In an inning of brevity for the Red Sox, Mike Carp walked to the center of the diamond as he made his first career pitching appearance during 14-5 onslaught at the hands of the Yankees Thursday evening.
Carp, who has played both left field and first base this season, came in to pitch the ninth inning as part of manager John Farrell‘s attempt to save up his bullpen. Farrell had already utilized relievers Burke Badenhop, Craig Breslow and Edward Mujica in the game after Felix Dubront lasted a mere 2 2/3 innings on the mound.
“Any time you end up with a position player on the mound, it’s not been a good night,” Farrell said.
While Carp has not pitched since high school, the right-hander limited the Yankees to one run, did not give up a hit and even forced Brian McCann to hit into a double play. Carp’s problem was that he also walked five batters during the inning.
“Obviously I’m not trying to be too serious out there,” Carp said. “[I’m] trying to get some outs. Unfortunately, you end up walking a few guys, but it’s definitely a cool experience.”
Many of the Yankees batters watched as Carp’s fastball, which capped out in the low-80s, and his knuckleball, which went as high as the mid-60s, skirted just outside the plate.
“Hopefully that’s because of the movement on the ball,” Carp said. “Nobody hit the ball hard, so that was a plus.”
Carp added that although it was a disappointing lost, he enjoyed his time on the mound.
“It was fun,” Carp said. “Just a rough ball game, but like I said, to get out there and have a little kid’s dream of pitching in a big-league ballgame, especially as a hitter.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela