Sunday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jon Lester vs. R.A. Dickey
|04.27.14 at 9:25 am ET|
Lester is having the same luck John Lackey did in 2013 — he pitches well but gets no run support from his offense. The lefty sports a 2.67 ERA with a 1.337 WHIP through five starts, but he’s only 2-3. In his three losses, Lester has had a combined two runs from his offense, while only giving up six earned runs.
The 30-year-old’s last start, a 3-2 loss to the Yankees on April 22, was actually his worst of the season. Lester lasted only 4 2/3 innings while giving up 11 hits and eight runs (three earned), striking out seven and walking four on 118 pitches.
“I know everybody in here is busting their butt to do their best to get on a good run and put a full game together, whether it be pitching or defense or offense, whatever it may be,” Lester said after the game. “I hate saying it, but we’ve got a long ways to go and we’re going to figure it out on both sides of the baseball and we’ll be there — we’ll be fine.”
The southpaw has been good against the Blue Jays, especially in 2013, going 4-0 in six starts against the divisional foe with an ERA of 2.55. Overall, Lester is 15-7 with a 3.55 ERA vs. the Jays.
The 39-year-old Dickey has struggled in 2014, going 1-3 in five starts with a 5.90 ERA and a 1.621 WHIP. Dickey has given up a combined 13 runs in his last three starts, pitching 18 1/3 innings. While he historically sports a good walk-to-strikeout ratio, Dickey has walked 18 batters in 2014 while only striking out 24.
Dickey, who has played for the Rangers, Mariners, Twins, Mets and Blue Jays, has a lengthy history against the Red Sox. He first faced them in 2003, when he was with the Rangers, going 1-0 in three games, two being from the bullpen. In 2004, Dickey played against the Red Sox twice, starting once and again going 1-0.
It wouldn’t be until 2008, when Dickey was with the Mariners, that he saw the Red Sox again. Between ‘08 and ‘09, Dickey went 0-1 in four games, one being a start. Another four years went by until Dickey, now with the Blue Jays, faced Boston. Last year, Dickey went 0-2 in two starts with an 8.53 ERA.
Red Sox vs. R.A. Dickey (RHP)
Shane Victorino (27 plate appearances): .240 AVG/.296 OBP/.440 SLG, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts
David Ortiz (14): .333/.429/.750, 2 doubles, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (13): .167/.231/.167, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (13): .417/.462/.750, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (9): .375/.444/.625, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Jackie Bradley (6): .200/.333/.800, 1 home run, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (6): .500/.500/1.667, 1 double, 2 home runs, 3 RBIs, 1 strikeout
David Ross (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp has two strikeouts and no hits in three plate appearances vs. Dickey.
Jonny Gomes has no hits in two plate appearances.
Jonathan Herrera has 1 strikeout and no hits in two plate appearances.
Grady Sizemore (2): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Blue Jays vs. Jon Lester (LHP)
Jose Bautista (64): .204/.297/.481, 3 doubles, 4 home runs, 8 RBIs, 8 walks, 11 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (40): .194/.275/.472, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBIs, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (37): .278/.297.306, 1 double, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Brett Lawrie (28): .160/.250/.320, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Dioner Navarro (27): .227/.346/.227, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Jose Reyes (17): .063/.118/.063, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Colby Rasmus (15): .200/.200/.200, 1 RBI, 5 strikeouts
Moises Sierra (6): .000/.333/.000, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Goins (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Johnathan Diaz, Juan Francisco and Josh Thole have not faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins