Source: Red Sox haven’t re-engaged in talks with Stephen Drew at any point this season
|04.28.14 at 2:14 pm ET|
There would have appeared to be some windows throughout April where some interest in Drew might seem plausible, with third baseman Will Middlebrooks missing three weeks due to a Grade 1 calf strain and Xander Bogaerts experiencing some early-season defensive missteps (along with a few calf issues of his own).
Following the the Middlebrooks injury, the Red Sox did sign Ryan Roberts (who has since been designated for assignment, cleared waivers and is playing with Triple-A Pawtucket) to fill in at third base.
But at no time throughout the ups and down of April, according to the source, did the Red Sox deviate from their long-term plan of committing to a starting left side of the infield consisting of Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.
The Red Sox remain the one team who would not have to surrender a draft pick in order to sign Drew, who also reportedly isn’t drawing significant interest from the Mets, either. It has been believed that New York might be the best fit for Drew, with Terry Collins’ team leaning on Ruben Tejada at shortstop. Thus far this season, Tejada is hitting just .200 with a .531 OPS.
It should be noted that teams would not have to surrender a draft pick if they sign free agents linked to qualifying offers (like Drew and Kendrys Morales) if they wait until after the June amateur draft, which stretches from June 5- 7.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers