Source: Red Sox haven’t re-engaged in talks with Stephen Drew at any point this season
|04.28.14 at 2:14 pm ET|
There would have appeared to be some windows throughout April where some interest in Drew might seem plausible, with third baseman Will Middlebrooks missing three weeks due to a Grade 1 calf strain and Xander Bogaerts experiencing some early-season defensive missteps (along with a few calf issues of his own).
Following the the Middlebrooks injury, the Red Sox did sign Ryan Roberts (who has since been designated for assignment, cleared waivers and is playing with Triple-A Pawtucket) to fill in at third base.
But at no time throughout the ups and down of April, according to the source, did the Red Sox deviate from their long-term plan of committing to a starting left side of the infield consisting of Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.
The Red Sox remain the one team who would not have to surrender a draft pick in order to sign Drew, who also reportedly isn’t drawing significant interest from the Mets, either. It has been believed that New York might be the best fit for Drew, with Terry Collins’ team leaning on Ruben Tejada at shortstop. Thus far this season, Tejada is hitting just .200 with a .531 OPS.
It should be noted that teams would not have to surrender a draft pick if they sign free agents linked to qualifying offers (like Drew and Kendrys Morales) if they wait until after the June amateur draft, which stretches from June 5- 7.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 2: Corner Infielders
- Scouting Scratch: Young Arms
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- Dubon taking journey from Honduras to the majors one stop at a time
- The Write-Up: Clay Buchholz
- Fort Report: Cuts, injuries and positional battles
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 1: Catchers
- With new delivery honed, Haley looks to build on breakout season
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released