Source: Red Sox haven’t re-engaged in talks with Stephen Drew at any point this season
|04.28.14 at 2:14 pm ET|
There would have appeared to be some windows throughout April where some interest in Drew might seem plausible, with third baseman Will Middlebrooks missing three weeks due to a Grade 1 calf strain and Xander Bogaerts experiencing some early-season defensive missteps (along with a few calf issues of his own).
Following the the Middlebrooks injury, the Red Sox did sign Ryan Roberts (who has since been designated for assignment, cleared waivers and is playing with Triple-A Pawtucket) to fill in at third base.
But at no time throughout the ups and down of April, according to the source, did the Red Sox deviate from their long-term plan of committing to a starting left side of the infield consisting of Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.
The Red Sox remain the one team who would not have to surrender a draft pick in order to sign Drew, who also reportedly isn’t drawing significant interest from the Mets, either. It has been believed that New York might be the best fit for Drew, with Terry Collins’ team leaning on Ruben Tejada at shortstop. Thus far this season, Tejada is hitting just .200 with a .531 OPS.
It should be noted that teams would not have to surrender a draft pick if they sign free agents linked to qualifying offers (like Drew and Kendrys Morales) if they wait until after the June amateur draft, which stretches from June 5- 7.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept