Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz, Shane Victorino return vs. Rays LHP Erik Bedard
|04.29.14 at 3:12 pm ET|
After a Sunday loss in which the Red Sox featured a lineup without Shane Victorino and David Ortiz, the team will once again feature its signature everyday top of the lineup, with Victorino and Ortiz back, sandwiched between leadoff hitter Dustin Pedroia and cleanup hitter Mike Napoli. With the Rays featuring left-hander Erik Bedard on the mound, Grady Sizemore will sit in favor of Jonny Gomes, but rather than having David Ross behind the plate, the Sox will pair the left-handed hitting A.J. Pierzynski with starting pitcher John Lackey.
The choice of Pierzynski over Ross likely reflects both the fact that both Pierzynski (.429/.429/.714 with two homers in 21 plate appearances) and Ross (2-for-4 with two homers) have enjoyed considerable success against Bedard. Given that, and the fact that Lackey has raved about working with Pierzynski (who has caught all five of his starts), the decision was made to insert Pierzynski in the lineup.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Shane Victorino, RF
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
John Lackey, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.