Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz, Shane Victorino return vs. Rays LHP Erik Bedard
|04.29.14 at 3:12 pm ET|
After a Sunday loss in which the Red Sox featured a lineup without Shane Victorino and David Ortiz, the team will once again feature its signature everyday top of the lineup, with Victorino and Ortiz back, sandwiched between leadoff hitter Dustin Pedroia and cleanup hitter Mike Napoli. With the Rays featuring left-hander Erik Bedard on the mound, Grady Sizemore will sit in favor of Jonny Gomes, but rather than having David Ross behind the plate, the Sox will pair the left-handed hitting A.J. Pierzynski with starting pitcher John Lackey.
The choice of Pierzynski over Ross likely reflects both the fact that both Pierzynski (.429/.429/.714 with two homers in 21 plate appearances) and Ross (2-for-4 with two homers) have enjoyed considerable success against Bedard. Given that, and the fact that Lackey has raved about working with Pierzynski (who has caught all five of his starts), the decision was made to insert Pierzynski in the lineup.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Shane Victorino, RF
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
A.J. Pierzynski, C
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
John Lackey, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo