Red Sox-Rays game postponed due to threat of rain
|04.30.14 at 4:10 pm ET|
Wednesday night’s game between the Red Sox and Rays has been postponed due to the threat of rain. The two teams will instead play a day-night doubleheader on Thursday (separate admission for each game), with the first game starting at 1:05 p.m and the night contest remaining at its scheduled time of 7:10 p.m.
Both teams will be allowed to add a 26th man to the roster for the doubleheader. With Triple-A Pawtucket having an off-day on Wednesday, the Sox can choose from a full complement of arms, including right-hander Brandon Workman, who last pitched on April 26, and right-hander Alex Wilson, who was summoned for a one-day callup earlier this month.
The Red Sox will feature Jake Peavy in the early contest, with Felix Doubront (originally scheduled to start on Wednesday) pitching in the nightcap. Manager John Farrell said that the rationale for proceeding with Peavy in the first game was the reliability of innings that could be expected from the right-hander in the first game, thus offering a better chance to keep the bullpen in good shape for the nightcap.
Tickets for Wednesday night’s game will be good for the 1:05 p.m. game on Thursday, with Dustin Pedroia bobbleheads — a promotion that had been slated for Wednesday night — being give out for the day game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split
- Players of the Week, 8/18-24: Brian Johnson & Mike Miller
- Cup of Coffee: Speier helps GCL Sox clinch division title
- Marrero and Coyle headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis rips first career home run in GCL Sox win
- Weekly Notes: Battle for CF heats up with new addition
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads the way, Wilkerson keeps rolling
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson dominates NH, Coyle hits 14th