Red Sox-Rays game postponed due to threat of rain
|04.30.14 at 4:10 pm ET|
Wednesday night’s game between the Red Sox and Rays has been postponed due to the threat of rain. The two teams will instead play a day-night doubleheader on Thursday (separate admission for each game), with the first game starting at 1:05 p.m and the night contest remaining at its scheduled time of 7:10 p.m.
Both teams will be allowed to add a 26th man to the roster for the doubleheader. With Triple-A Pawtucket having an off-day on Wednesday, the Sox can choose from a full complement of arms, including right-hander Brandon Workman, who last pitched on April 26, and right-hander Alex Wilson, who was summoned for a one-day callup earlier this month.
The Red Sox will feature Jake Peavy in the early contest, with Felix Doubront (originally scheduled to start on Wednesday) pitching in the nightcap. Manager John Farrell said that the rationale for proceeding with Peavy in the first game was the reliability of innings that could be expected from the right-hander in the first game, thus offering a better chance to keep the bullpen in good shape for the nightcap.
Tickets for Wednesday night’s game will be good for the 1:05 p.m. game on Thursday, with Dustin Pedroia bobbleheads — a promotion that had been slated for Wednesday night — being give out for the day game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Deven Marrero and Trey Ball
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Michael Kopech and Sean Coyle
- Top 40 in Review: Wendell Rijo and Edwin Escobar
- Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Shaw and Sam Travis
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Marrero dominates in AFL
- Top 40 in Review: Nick Longhi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje