Red Sox-Rays game postponed due to threat of rain
|04.30.14 at 4:10 pm ET|
Wednesday night’s game between the Red Sox and Rays has been postponed due to the threat of rain. The two teams will instead play a day-night doubleheader on Thursday (separate admission for each game), with the first game starting at 1:05 p.m and the night contest remaining at its scheduled time of 7:10 p.m.
Both teams will be allowed to add a 26th man to the roster for the doubleheader. With Triple-A Pawtucket having an off-day on Wednesday, the Sox can choose from a full complement of arms, including right-hander Brandon Workman, who last pitched on April 26, and right-hander Alex Wilson, who was summoned for a one-day callup earlier this month.
The Red Sox will feature Jake Peavy in the early contest, with Felix Doubront (originally scheduled to start on Wednesday) pitching in the nightcap. Manager John Farrell said that the rationale for proceeding with Peavy in the first game was the reliability of innings that could be expected from the right-hander in the first game, thus offering a better chance to keep the bullpen in good shape for the nightcap.
Tickets for Wednesday night’s game will be good for the 1:05 p.m. game on Thursday, with Dustin Pedroia bobbleheads — a promotion that had been slated for Wednesday night — being give out for the day game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates