Red Sox-Rays game postponed due to threat of rain
|04.30.14 at 4:10 pm ET|
Wednesday night’s game between the Red Sox and Rays has been postponed due to the threat of rain. The two teams will instead play a day-night doubleheader on Thursday (separate admission for each game), with the first game starting at 1:05 p.m and the night contest remaining at its scheduled time of 7:10 p.m.
Both teams will be allowed to add a 26th man to the roster for the doubleheader. With Triple-A Pawtucket having an off-day on Wednesday, the Sox can choose from a full complement of arms, including right-hander Brandon Workman, who last pitched on April 26, and right-hander Alex Wilson, who was summoned for a one-day callup earlier this month.
The Red Sox will feature Jake Peavy in the early contest, with Felix Doubront (originally scheduled to start on Wednesday) pitching in the nightcap. Manager John Farrell said that the rationale for proceeding with Peavy in the first game was the reliability of innings that could be expected from the right-hander in the first game, thus offering a better chance to keep the bullpen in good shape for the nightcap.
Tickets for Wednesday night’s game will be good for the 1:05 p.m. game on Thursday, with Dustin Pedroia bobbleheads — a promotion that had been slated for Wednesday night — being give out for the day game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive