Wednesday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Chris Archer
|04.30.14 at 8:50 am ET|
The Red Sox will continue their three-game series against the Rays on Wednesday when they send Felix Doubront to the mound against Chris Archer.
Doubront struggled mightily in his last outing as he was right in the thick of Boston’s 14-5 loss to the Yankees last Thursday. Doubront struggled throughout the outing and received no favors from the team’s defense as he left the game after a mere 2 2/3 innings after giving up seven runs, three of which were earned, on six hits and two walks. The outing marked the second time this season that Doubront has failed to make it past the third inning.
“It was a bad night,” Doubront said after the game. “I couldn’t get my job done. It was probably a loss of concentration. That’s what happened. It was terrible.
Red Sox manager John Farrell added: “Felix was erratic with his command. We contributed with some plays defensively to extend a couple of those innings, and the sooner we move past this one the better.”
The southpaw last took on the Rays on July 29, 2013, in what became a 2-1 loss. Doubront earned his fifth ‘L’ of the season after he gave up two earned runs on eight hits over five innings. He also walked three and struck out four during the outing. In 11 appearances against Tampa Bay, eight of which were starts, Doubront has gone 2-3 with a 3.24 ERA and a WHIP of 1.42.
Unlike Doubront, Archer enters Wednesday’s game after getting a no-decision in his most recent start — a tilt against the White Sox on Friday. Archer gave up four runs on nine hits with four strikeouts during the six-inning outing. Chicago went on to win the game 9-6 after a five-run rally during the ninth.
Archer has limited experience against the Red Sox and has not faced off against Boston since June 18, 2013. Archer earned the loss in what became a 5-1 Red Sox win after he gave up four runs, three of which were earned, on five hits over 4 2/3 innings. In three starts against Boston, Archer has gone 1-2 with a 5.27 ERA and a 1.98 WHIP. His lone win over the Red Sox came during the 2012 season.
Rays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Ben Zobrist (25 plate appearances): .250 AVG/.375 OBP/ .250 SLG, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 6 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (23): .300/.391/.300, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Evan Longoria (22): .353/.455/.529, 3 doubles, 2 RBIs, 4 walks, 3 strikeouts
Desmond Jennings (20): .250/.400/.313, 1 double, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (20): .211/.250/.368, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
James Loney (12): .182/.250/.182, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Wil Myers (9): .375/.444/.375, 3 RBIs, 1 walk, 1 strikeouts
Jose Molina (6): .250/.500/.250, 1 walk
Matthew Joyce (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Red Sox vs. Archer (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (8): .167/.250/.267, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (5): .500/.600/.500, 3 RBIs, 1 walk
Will Middlebrooks has walked twice in four plate appearances vs. Archer.
A.J. Pierzynski and Shane Victorino each have one hit in three plate appearances vs. Archer.
Mike Carp has one hit in two plate appearances vs. Archer.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins