Red Sox reliever Edward Mujica taken out of action due to oblique discomfort
|05.03.14 at 5:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox experienced what could be a bump in the road for their bullpen Saturday, with Edward Mujica not being able to pitch after experiencing discomfort in his oblique while warming up in the eighth inning of the Sox’ 6-3 win over the A’s.
“I was just warming up. I threw one changeup and I just felt a little bit,” Mujica said. “I talked to the bullpen coach [Dana Levangie] and asked him to make a phone call. I didn’t feel comfortable and they changed it up right there.”
The righty, reported that he has never had any oblique issues, threw about 15 pitches in the bullpen before feeling the ailment. Chris Capuano came on in place of Mujica for the ninth inning, ultimately surrendering three runs without retiring a batter before closer Koji Uehara entered for the save.
“Right now, when I take a deep breath, I feel a little pinch in there,” said the 29-year-old. “I’ve never felt that before. I don’t know. Something weird I feel, so I needed to talk to the trainers and see what they’re going to do and what they expect.”
Mujica has appeared in 11 games, having surrendered 10 runs on 16 hits over 10 innings. He has walked four batters, after issuing just five free passes in 65 outings lasts season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016