Red Sox reliever Edward Mujica taken out of action due to oblique discomfort
|05.03.14 at 5:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox experienced what could be a bump in the road for their bullpen Saturday, with Edward Mujica not being able to pitch after experiencing discomfort in his oblique while warming up in the eighth inning of the Sox’ 6-3 win over the A’s.
“I was just warming up. I threw one changeup and I just felt a little bit,” Mujica said. “I talked to the bullpen coach [Dana Levangie] and asked him to make a phone call. I didn’t feel comfortable and they changed it up right there.”
The righty, reported that he has never had any oblique issues, threw about 15 pitches in the bullpen before feeling the ailment. Chris Capuano came on in place of Mujica for the ninth inning, ultimately surrendering three runs without retiring a batter before closer Koji Uehara entered for the save.
“Right now, when I take a deep breath, I feel a little pinch in there,” said the 29-year-old. “I’ve never felt that before. I don’t know. Something weird I feel, so I needed to talk to the trainers and see what they’re going to do and what they expect.”
Mujica has appeared in 11 games, having surrendered 10 runs on 16 hits over 10 innings. He has walked four batters, after issuing just five free passes in 65 outings lasts season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes