Red Sox reliever Edward Mujica taken out of action due to oblique discomfort
|05.03.14 at 5:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox experienced what could be a bump in the road for their bullpen Saturday, with Edward Mujica not being able to pitch after experiencing discomfort in his oblique while warming up in the eighth inning of the Sox’ 6-3 win over the A’s.
“I was just warming up. I threw one changeup and I just felt a little bit,” Mujica said. “I talked to the bullpen coach [Dana Levangie] and asked him to make a phone call. I didn’t feel comfortable and they changed it up right there.”
The righty, reported that he has never had any oblique issues, threw about 15 pitches in the bullpen before feeling the ailment. Chris Capuano came on in place of Mujica for the ninth inning, ultimately surrendering three runs without retiring a batter before closer Koji Uehara entered for the save.
“Right now, when I take a deep breath, I feel a little pinch in there,” said the 29-year-old. “I’ve never felt that before. I don’t know. Something weird I feel, so I needed to talk to the trainers and see what they’re going to do and what they expect.”
Mujica has appeared in 11 games, having surrendered 10 runs on 16 hits over 10 innings. He has walked four batters, after issuing just five free passes in 65 outings lasts season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers