Saturday’s Red Sox-A’s matchups: Jon Lester vs. Tommy Milone
|05.03.14 at 8:05 am ET|
Lester had been the Red Sox ace through his first four starts, posting an impressive 2.17 ERA but holding a lackluster 2-2 record due to a lack of run support. While the 30-year-old hasn’t received much run support in his last two starts, a combined four runs, Lester has not pitched well, with his ERA jumping to 3.10.
It started with an April 22 start against the Yankees, when the lefty lasted 4 2/3 innings, giving up eight runs (three earned) on 11 hits. He rebounded against Toronto on April 27 by pitching seven innings, striking out seven and walking none, but he did give up four runs on five hits, including a home run. Despite giving up the most earned runs in his young season, Lester thought he pitched OK.
“I felt like I threw the ball better than the four runs [that] are up there,” Lester said after the game. “I can deal with the mistakes. I just hate making good pitches they get rewarded with hits on.”
The southpaw has had a mixed bag against the Athletics, going 4-4 in his career in 12 games, all starts, posting a 4.21 ERA and a WHIP of 1.493. In two starts against Oakland last year, Lester went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA, striking out nine and walking nine.
The Washington native has a low strikeout-to-walk ratio against the Athletics, 1.75. His career average is a 2.53, while his ratio in 2014 is exceptionally high, at 5.38 through six games.
Milone, who owns a 3.32 strikeout-to-walk ratio, is having the opposite problem to Lester, holding a 1.38 ratio in 2014 through four starts. The 27-year-old has struggled in his third year starting, going 0-2 with a 4.56 ERA, with all four of his starts have resulted in losses for Oakland.
The 27-year-old has only faced the Red Sox once, back in 2012. Milone only lasted 4 2/3 innings that day, giving up eight runs (seven earned) on eight hits, three being home runs, while walking one and striking out five.
A’s vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Punto (13 plate appearances): .231 AVG/.231 OBP/.231 SLG, 2 RBIs, 3 strikeouts
Alberto Callaspo (12): .200/.333/.300, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Coco Crisp (12): .200/.250/.500, 1 home run, 2 RBIs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Daric Barton (11): .222/.364/.444, 2 doubles, 2 walks
Yoenis Cespedes (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeout
Josh Donaldson (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double
Craig Gentry (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jed Lowrie (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 walk
Derek Norris (6): .250/.500/1.000, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 walks
Josh Reddick (6): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Brandon Moss (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
John Jaso and Eric Sogard have not faced Lester.
Red Sox vs. Milone (LHP)
Mike Napoli (7): .143/.143/.143, 3 strikeouts
A.J. Pierzynski (7): .286/.286/.286, 2 RBIs
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.333, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): 1.000/1.000/4.000, 2 home runs, 2 RBI, 1 walk
Dustin Pedroia has one hit in three plate appearances vs. Milone.
Shane Victoria has no hits in three plate appearances.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven