Why Jonny Gomes didn’t take any pitches Saturday (and how it paid off)
|05.03.14 at 6:31 pm ET|
Jonny Gomes went in with a plan Saturday, and it paid off right out of the gate.
The Red Sox‘ outfielder went into his team’s game with the A’s with the idea to swing at everything near the plate. The immediate result was striking ‘ a first-pitch, first-inning grand slam coming off a Tommy Millone curveball.
By day’s end the Red Sox had a 6-3 win ‘ thanks in large part to the big blow by the left fielder ‘ and Gomes had offered at every one of the eight pitches he saw, putting the ball in play in each of his first three at-bats.
‘From playing over there, [A’s pitching coach] Curt Young, [A’s manager] Bob Melvin, those guys are strike-throwers ‘¦ It kind of comes with the motto of pitching in their ballpark,’ said Gomes, who played with Oakland in 2012. ‘I just wanted to be aggressive early and aggressive throughout the whole game. I swung at every single pitch I saw today, but they were all strikes. I just wanted to be aggressive on strikes early and they came right after me like I they do with everyone.’
As for the home run ‘ his fifth career grand slam ‘ Gomes also had yet another method to his madness when jumping on the first pitch he saw.
‘First-pitch curveball. Runner on third, less than two outs, just looking for something with the bottom half of the ball that I can elevate,’ he said. ‘Worst case sacrifice fly, best case it goes out.’
Gomes has churned out some positive results of late, particularly against lefties. In his last seven games he has gone 5-for-13 vs. left-handers, totaling a 1.269 OPS.
‘That would be nice but that’s not really my role,’ said Gomes when asked if he felt like he was starting to get on a role. ‘I could play a couple of days in a row and have quite a few off, and then play quite a few days in a row and have quite a few off. It’s kind of hard to get in a rhythm. It’s hard to come out of a rut. It’s just living pitch to pitch.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller