Why Jonny Gomes didn’t take any pitches Saturday (and how it paid off)
|05.03.14 at 6:31 pm ET|
Jonny Gomes went in with a plan Saturday, and it paid off right out of the gate.
The Red Sox‘ outfielder went into his team’s game with the A’s with the idea to swing at everything near the plate. The immediate result was striking ‘ a first-pitch, first-inning grand slam coming off a Tommy Millone curveball.
By day’s end the Red Sox had a 6-3 win ‘ thanks in large part to the big blow by the left fielder ‘ and Gomes had offered at every one of the eight pitches he saw, putting the ball in play in each of his first three at-bats.
‘From playing over there, [A’s pitching coach] Curt Young, [A’s manager] Bob Melvin, those guys are strike-throwers ‘¦ It kind of comes with the motto of pitching in their ballpark,’ said Gomes, who played with Oakland in 2012. ‘I just wanted to be aggressive early and aggressive throughout the whole game. I swung at every single pitch I saw today, but they were all strikes. I just wanted to be aggressive on strikes early and they came right after me like I they do with everyone.’
As for the home run ‘ his fifth career grand slam ‘ Gomes also had yet another method to his madness when jumping on the first pitch he saw.
‘First-pitch curveball. Runner on third, less than two outs, just looking for something with the bottom half of the ball that I can elevate,’ he said. ‘Worst case sacrifice fly, best case it goes out.’
Gomes has churned out some positive results of late, particularly against lefties. In his last seven games he has gone 5-for-13 vs. left-handers, totaling a 1.269 OPS.
‘That would be nice but that’s not really my role,’ said Gomes when asked if he felt like he was starting to get on a role. ‘I could play a couple of days in a row and have quite a few off, and then play quite a few days in a row and have quite a few off. It’s kind of hard to get in a rhythm. It’s hard to come out of a rut. It’s just living pitch to pitch.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot