Will Middlebrooks says his shoulder is ‘fine … not hurt’ after pivotal play on the bases
|05.04.14 at 6:26 pm ET|
The outcome was bad enough for Will Middlebrooks on the Red Sox. After the third baseman led off the 10th inning with a single to center and advanced to second when former Sox center fielder Coco Crisp kicked the ball for an error, Middlebrooks attempted to advance to third on Jackie Bradley Jr.‘s hard grounder to the right side. But Athletics first baseman Daric Barton came up firing across the diamond, making a perfect throw to cut down Middlebrooks as he tried to dive into third.
“First baseman was in, but at that point in the game, I’m trying to make something happen, I’m trying to get over there so it’s easier to drive me in. Tough play. The guy made a good play,” Middlebrooks rued. “Unfortunately, I was out.”
The out was costly. With a runner on first rather than third with one out, the Sox quickly went down, as Dustin Pedroia grounded into a game-ending double play to conclude the 3-2, 10-inning loss. But for a moment, it looked like the consequences could exceed even that play, as Middlebrooks held his left arm gingerly at his side as he jogged off the field to the dugout.
After the game, however, Middlebrooks said that the injury to his shoulder had been momentary, and that it would not be an issue going forward.
“I’m fine,” he pronounced. “It just kind of zinged me. I’m fine. I’m not hurt.”
Middlebrooks went 1-for-3 with a walk, and is now hitting .233 with a .365 OBP and .442 slugging mark in 13 games this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.