In new book, Mariano Rivera picks Dustin Pedroia over Robinson Cano
|05.06.14 at 7:16 am ET|
In his soon-to-be released book, “The Closer,” former Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera states that he would choose Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia over Rivera’s former teammate Robinson Cano, suggesting that Cano still hasn’t exhibited the kind of will to excel needed to be separated from the pack.
In an excerpt published by the New York Daily News, Rivera writes of Cano, “This guy has so much talent I don’t know where to start. There is no doubt that he is a Hall of Fame caliber (player). It’s just a question of whether he finds the drive you need to get there. I don’t think Robby burns to be the best … You don’t see that red-hot passion in him that you see in most elite players.”
The former Yankees closer then goes on to praise Pedroia.
“Nobody plays harder, gives more, wants to win more. He comes at you hard for 27 outs. It’s a special thing to see,” Rivera writes. He later adds, “If I have to win one game, I’d have a hard time taking anybody over Dustin Pedroia as my second baseman.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts