In new book, Mariano Rivera picks Dustin Pedroia over Robinson Cano
|05.06.14 at 7:16 am ET|
In his soon-to-be released book, “The Closer,” former Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera states that he would choose Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia over Rivera’s former teammate Robinson Cano, suggesting that Cano still hasn’t exhibited the kind of will to excel needed to be separated from the pack.
In an excerpt published by the New York Daily News, Rivera writes of Cano, “This guy has so much talent I don’t know where to start. There is no doubt that he is a Hall of Fame caliber (player). It’s just a question of whether he finds the drive you need to get there. I don’t think Robby burns to be the best … You don’t see that red-hot passion in him that you see in most elite players.”
The former Yankees closer then goes on to praise Pedroia.
“Nobody plays harder, gives more, wants to win more. He comes at you hard for 27 outs. It’s a special thing to see,” Rivera writes. He later adds, “If I have to win one game, I’d have a hard time taking anybody over Dustin Pedroia as my second baseman.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo