Wednesday’s Red Sox-Reds matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mike Leake
|05.07.14 at 8:56 am ET|
Peavy comes into Wednesday’s outing after he picked up his first loss of the season in his most recent appearance. The righty gave up two earned runs on three hits, five walks and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings against the Rays on Thursday to move his season record to 1-1 with a 2.87 ERA and a WHIP of 1.35. The Red Sox went on to lose the game 2-1 as the team once again took issue with an instant replay review. Dustin Pedroia was called out at home during the seventh inning after it was ruled that he missed touching the plate. Crew chief Dale Scott ruled the replay inconclusive and upheld the original call.
“Anytime you lose it’s frustrating,” Peavy said after the game. “It’s really frustrating when you lose and you feel like we did score two runs in the ball game. That’s the thing I’m having a hard time with right now.”
Peavy has not played against the Reds since he was with San Diego in 2009. The veteran right-hander tossed a complete game in that last appearance as he gave up one run on four hits with eight strikeouts. Over the course of his career, Peavy has gone 6-0 with a 2.14 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP in 10 outings against Cincinnati.
Like Peavy, Leake enters Wednesday’s game after picking up a loss in his most recent appearance. In what was ultimately a 2-0 loss to the Brewers on May 2, Leake gave up two earned runs on seven hits with two walks and five strikeouts over eight innings. Leake, who has a 2-3 record with a 3.53 ERA this season, has not won a game since April 15.
While Leake has faced three current Red Sox batters, he has never played the team during his four-plus seasons in the majors.
Reds vs. Peavy (RHP)
Brandon Phillips (20 plate appearances): .158 AVG/.158 OBP/.211 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Ramon Santiago (13): .154/.154/.154, 2 strikeouts
Brayan Pena (9): .250/.333/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jay Bruce (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Skip Schumaker (7): .286/.286/.286, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Ludwick (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Johnny Cueto and Sean Marshall are hitless in two appearances each vs. Peavy.
Joey Votto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Red Sox vs. Leake (RHP)
Shane Victorino (10): .400/.400/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
A.J. Pierzynski has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Leake.
Grady Sizemore (3): .333/.333/.33, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome