Wednesday’s Red Sox-Reds matchups: Jake Peavy vs. Mike Leake
|05.07.14 at 8:56 am ET|
Peavy comes into Wednesday’s outing after he picked up his first loss of the season in his most recent appearance. The righty gave up two earned runs on three hits, five walks and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings against the Rays on Thursday to move his season record to 1-1 with a 2.87 ERA and a WHIP of 1.35. The Red Sox went on to lose the game 2-1 as the team once again took issue with an instant replay review. Dustin Pedroia was called out at home during the seventh inning after it was ruled that he missed touching the plate. Crew chief Dale Scott ruled the replay inconclusive and upheld the original call.
“Anytime you lose it’s frustrating,” Peavy said after the game. “It’s really frustrating when you lose and you feel like we did score two runs in the ball game. That’s the thing I’m having a hard time with right now.”
Peavy has not played against the Reds since he was with San Diego in 2009. The veteran right-hander tossed a complete game in that last appearance as he gave up one run on four hits with eight strikeouts. Over the course of his career, Peavy has gone 6-0 with a 2.14 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP in 10 outings against Cincinnati.
Like Peavy, Leake enters Wednesday’s game after picking up a loss in his most recent appearance. In what was ultimately a 2-0 loss to the Brewers on May 2, Leake gave up two earned runs on seven hits with two walks and five strikeouts over eight innings. Leake, who has a 2-3 record with a 3.53 ERA this season, has not won a game since April 15.
While Leake has faced three current Red Sox batters, he has never played the team during his four-plus seasons in the majors.
Reds vs. Peavy (RHP)
Brandon Phillips (20 plate appearances): .158 AVG/.158 OBP/.211 SLG, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Ramon Santiago (13): .154/.154/.154, 2 strikeouts
Brayan Pena (9): .250/.333/.625, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Jay Bruce (8): .250/.250/.250, 2 strikeouts
Skip Schumaker (7): .286/.286/.286, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Ludwick (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Johnny Cueto and Sean Marshall are hitless in two appearances each vs. Peavy.
Joey Votto (1): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 RBI
Red Sox vs. Leake (RHP)
Shane Victorino (10): .400/.400/.500, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
A.J. Pierzynski has one strikeout in three plate appearances vs. Leake.
Grady Sizemore (3): .333/.333/.33, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday