Friday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Yu Darvish
|05.09.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Buchholz comes into Friday’s game after two bounceback efforts that gave him a 2-2 record with a 5.63 ERA and a WHIP of 1.59. In his most recent start, a contest against the Athletics, Buchholz gave up just one earned run on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. The Red Sox went on to defeat Oakland by a score of 7-1.
“I felt good,” Buchholz said after the game. “It’s been a process over the last start to this start. As far as arm strength, it seems to be coming along pretty well. I think that was the last phase I was getting through, was getting arm strength fully back and trusting the pitches as I throw them.”
Buchholz has limited experience against the Rangers and has not pitched against Texas since July 24, 2012, in a game that the Red Sox ultimately won 2-1. The right-hander gave up one run on four hits with three walks and one strikeout over seven innings in the game. Despite giving up just one run, Buchholz came away with a no-decision as Boston eventually took its 2-1 lead in the ninth inning. Buchholz, who has made five starts against the Rangers since 2008, has not earned a win against them since the first time he played them. He holds an overall 1-3 record with a 3.30 ERA and a WHIP of 1.20 against Texas.
In six outings this season, Darvish has pitched to a 2-1 record with a 2.87 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP. Like Buchholz, he enters Friday’s game after coming away with a win in his most recent appearance. The 27-year-old gave up three runs to the Angels on seven hits, one walk and nine strikeouts on May 4. Two of the three runs came on solo shots by Erick Aybar and Albert Pujols. The two home runs were no match for the Rangers offense, though, as Texas went on to win the game 14-3.
Darvish has only made two starts against the Red Sox and holds an 0-1 record with 5.93 ERA. In his most recent appearance, a game on May 5, 2013, Darvish received a no-decision after he gave up three earned runs on four hits over seven innings while walking two and striking out 14. While Darvish gave up home runs to both David Ortiz and David Ross, the Red Sox failed to hold onto their early 3-0 lead and eventually lost in walk-off fashion 4-3.
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
Mike Carp (8 plate appearances): .000/.125/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .571/.571/1.000, 3 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/1.333. 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
David Ross (3): .500/.667/2.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Rangers vs. Buchholz (RHP)
J.P. Arencibia is hitless with five strikeouts in 20 plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Alex Rios (19): .200/.263/.267, 1 double. 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (13): .100/.308/.200, 1 double, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (9): .125/.222/.250, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (8): .250/.250/.375, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Prince Fielder (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game