Friday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Yu Darvish
|05.09.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Buchholz comes into Friday’s game after two bounceback efforts that gave him a 2-2 record with a 5.63 ERA and a WHIP of 1.59. In his most recent start, a contest against the Athletics, Buchholz gave up just one earned run on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. The Red Sox went on to defeat Oakland by a score of 7-1.
“I felt good,” Buchholz said after the game. “It’s been a process over the last start to this start. As far as arm strength, it seems to be coming along pretty well. I think that was the last phase I was getting through, was getting arm strength fully back and trusting the pitches as I throw them.”
Buchholz has limited experience against the Rangers and has not pitched against Texas since July 24, 2012, in a game that the Red Sox ultimately won 2-1. The right-hander gave up one run on four hits with three walks and one strikeout over seven innings in the game. Despite giving up just one run, Buchholz came away with a no-decision as Boston eventually took its 2-1 lead in the ninth inning. Buchholz, who has made five starts against the Rangers since 2008, has not earned a win against them since the first time he played them. He holds an overall 1-3 record with a 3.30 ERA and a WHIP of 1.20 against Texas.
In six outings this season, Darvish has pitched to a 2-1 record with a 2.87 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP. Like Buchholz, he enters Friday’s game after coming away with a win in his most recent appearance. The 27-year-old gave up three runs to the Angels on seven hits, one walk and nine strikeouts on May 4. Two of the three runs came on solo shots by Erick Aybar and Albert Pujols. The two home runs were no match for the Rangers offense, though, as Texas went on to win the game 14-3.
Darvish has only made two starts against the Red Sox and holds an 0-1 record with 5.93 ERA. In his most recent appearance, a game on May 5, 2013, Darvish received a no-decision after he gave up three earned runs on four hits over seven innings while walking two and striking out 14. While Darvish gave up home runs to both David Ortiz and David Ross, the Red Sox failed to hold onto their early 3-0 lead and eventually lost in walk-off fashion 4-3.
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
Mike Carp (8 plate appearances): .000/.125/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .571/.571/1.000, 3 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/1.333. 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
David Ross (3): .500/.667/2.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Rangers vs. Buchholz (RHP)
J.P. Arencibia is hitless with five strikeouts in 20 plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Alex Rios (19): .200/.263/.267, 1 double. 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (13): .100/.308/.200, 1 double, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (9): .125/.222/.250, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (8): .250/.250/.375, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Prince Fielder (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven