Friday’s Red Sox-Rangers matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Yu Darvish
|05.09.14 at 8:44 am ET|
Buchholz comes into Friday’s game after two bounceback efforts that gave him a 2-2 record with a 5.63 ERA and a WHIP of 1.59. In his most recent start, a contest against the Athletics, Buchholz gave up just one earned run on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. The Red Sox went on to defeat Oakland by a score of 7-1.
“I felt good,” Buchholz said after the game. “It’s been a process over the last start to this start. As far as arm strength, it seems to be coming along pretty well. I think that was the last phase I was getting through, was getting arm strength fully back and trusting the pitches as I throw them.”
Buchholz has limited experience against the Rangers and has not pitched against Texas since July 24, 2012, in a game that the Red Sox ultimately won 2-1. The right-hander gave up one run on four hits with three walks and one strikeout over seven innings in the game. Despite giving up just one run, Buchholz came away with a no-decision as Boston eventually took its 2-1 lead in the ninth inning. Buchholz, who has made five starts against the Rangers since 2008, has not earned a win against them since the first time he played them. He holds an overall 1-3 record with a 3.30 ERA and a WHIP of 1.20 against Texas.
In six outings this season, Darvish has pitched to a 2-1 record with a 2.87 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP. Like Buchholz, he enters Friday’s game after coming away with a win in his most recent appearance. The 27-year-old gave up three runs to the Angels on seven hits, one walk and nine strikeouts on May 4. Two of the three runs came on solo shots by Erick Aybar and Albert Pujols. The two home runs were no match for the Rangers offense, though, as Texas went on to win the game 14-3.
Darvish has only made two starts against the Red Sox and holds an 0-1 record with 5.93 ERA. In his most recent appearance, a game on May 5, 2013, Darvish received a no-decision after he gave up three earned runs on four hits over seven innings while walking two and striking out 14. While Darvish gave up home runs to both David Ortiz and David Ross, the Red Sox failed to hold onto their early 3-0 lead and eventually lost in walk-off fashion 4-3.
Red Sox vs. Darvish (RHP)
Mike Carp (8 plate appearances): .000/.125/.000, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .571/.571/1.000, 3 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
David Ortiz (3): .333/.333/1.333. 1 HR, 2 RBIs, 1 strikeout
David Ross (3): .500/.667/2.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Rangers vs. Buchholz (RHP)
J.P. Arencibia is hitless with five strikeouts in 20 plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Alex Rios (19): .200/.263/.267, 1 double. 3 RBIs, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Shin-Soo Choo (13): .100/.308/.200, 1 double, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (9): .125/.222/.250, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Elvis Andrus (8): .250/.250/.375, 1 double, 1 RBI, 4 strikeouts
Prince Fielder (7): .167/.286/.167, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mitch Moreland is hitless in two plate appearances vs. Buchholz.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins