Jared Remy accused of assaulting correction officer with milk carton
|05.09.14 at 9:00 am ET|
In late April, Jared Remy allegedly threw a milk carton at a correction officer who was standing outside of his isolation cell. Remy, the son of NESN Red Sox color commentator Jerry Remy, informed the Boston Herald of the situation when he sent the paper an internal report along with a letter.
According to the officer’s report, at 4 p.m. on April 25, “While sitting in front of Isolation cell 1 D/T Remy began to threaten this reporting Officer and after approximately 2 minutes D/T Remy threw a closed milk carton at this reporting Officer hitting me on the collarbone.”
Peter J. Koutoujian, the Middlesex Sheriff, said he intends to press charges against Remy.
“We referred the matter to the district attorney’s office for prosecution,” Koutoujian said. “The public may assume that assaults like these are just part of doing business in a correctional facility, but they are not, and never will be tolerated at the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office, no matter who the perpetrator is.
“It is my job to protect not only those in our custody, but our corrections officers and staff as well.”
A spokeswoman for Middlesex District Attorney Marian T. Ryan confirmed that the situation is being investigated.
Edward P. Ryan Jr., who is defending Remy on charges that he murdered his girlfriend Jennifer Martel in August, declined to comment on the matter.
This is the second time Remy has been involved in an altercation while in prison. Remy stands accused of beating fellow inmate Jemery Hodges with a cup of hot coffee, a plastic chair, a bar of soap and his fists on April 3. The 35-year-old was charged in Cambridge District Court for the alleged assault and is schedule to be arraigned on June 20 for eight felony counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He also was charged with one misdemeanor count of assault and battery.
Remy is expected to go to court for Martel’s murder on Oct. 7.
In the letter that Remy included with the internal report, he wrote, as he has in previous letters to the Boston Herald: Plese leve my dad alone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive