John Farrell to add Terry Francona, Ron Gardenhire to All-Star coaching staff
|05.13.14 at 8:47 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — The Red Sox are in Minnesota for the start of a three-game represent that represents the team’s only visit to play the Twins this season. But for several members of the organization, it’s not the only trip that they’ll make to Minnesota this year.
With the 2014 All-Star Game set to take place at Target Field, Red Sox manager John Farrell and the members of his coaching staff are assured of a return trip to Minnesota this summer. Farrell has previously taken part in a pair of All-Star games, first as a member of former Red Sox skipper Terry Francona‘s staff in 2008 and more recently as part of Texas manager Ron Washington‘s staff in 2011. Now, Farrell will return the favor for Francona, as the Red Sox skipper said that he’ll invite his longtime friend as well as Twins manager Ron Gardenhire — who as the manager of the team that hails from the All-Star Game’s host city, made a natural fit for the staff — to join him during the All-Star Game.
“It’s just an honor that our coaches and myself have a chance to be around the game’s current greatest players. It’s an honor for us,” said Farrell. “It’s a meaningful game. and to be associated with the spectacle of a midsummer classic is something that we’ll always remember and for a couple of us, this is the second time we’ve been fortunate enough to be part of it. and it will get here in time, but we’re looking forward to those days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss