John Farrell to add Terry Francona, Ron Gardenhire to All-Star coaching staff
|05.13.14 at 8:47 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — The Red Sox are in Minnesota for the start of a three-game represent that represents the team’s only visit to play the Twins this season. But for several members of the organization, it’s not the only trip that they’ll make to Minnesota this year.
With the 2014 All-Star Game set to take place at Target Field, Red Sox manager John Farrell and the members of his coaching staff are assured of a return trip to Minnesota this summer. Farrell has previously taken part in a pair of All-Star games, first as a member of former Red Sox skipper Terry Francona‘s staff in 2008 and more recently as part of Texas manager Ron Washington‘s staff in 2011. Now, Farrell will return the favor for Francona, as the Red Sox skipper said that he’ll invite his longtime friend as well as Twins manager Ron Gardenhire — who as the manager of the team that hails from the All-Star Game’s host city, made a natural fit for the staff — to join him during the All-Star Game.
“It’s just an honor that our coaches and myself have a chance to be around the game’s current greatest players. It’s an honor for us,” said Farrell. “It’s a meaningful game. and to be associated with the spectacle of a midsummer classic is something that we’ll always remember and for a couple of us, this is the second time we’ve been fortunate enough to be part of it. and it will get here in time, but we’re looking forward to those days.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada steals 40th, GCL Sox on brink of division