Red Sox 2013 first-rounder Trey Ball lands on disabled list
|05.14.14 at 11:35 pm ET|
Left-hander Trey Ball, the Red Sox‘ first-round pick (No. 7 overall) in the 2013 draft, was placed on the 7-day disabled list on Wednesday by the Single-A Greenville Drive. According to a source, Ball has been sidelined by a case of strep throat that had rendered him unable to take part in activities in recent days, including a missed side session.
Ball, 19, opened the year in extended spring training and had made just three starts in Greenville, posting a 6.59 ERA. However, with the benefit of hindsight, his numbers may have been distorted by pitching at a time when he was coming down with his ailment — his most recent outing on May 9 featured five runs on eight hits, four walks and no strikeouts in 3 2/3 innings. In the previous outing, he’d punched out six batters in five innings while getting 17 swings and misses — including 16 on his fastball.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power