Red Sox 2013 first-rounder Trey Ball lands on disabled list
|05.14.14 at 11:35 pm ET|
Left-hander Trey Ball, the Red Sox‘ first-round pick (No. 7 overall) in the 2013 draft, was placed on the 7-day disabled list on Wednesday by the Single-A Greenville Drive. According to a source, Ball has been sidelined by a case of strep throat that had rendered him unable to take part in activities in recent days, including a missed side session.
Ball, 19, opened the year in extended spring training and had made just three starts in Greenville, posting a 6.59 ERA. However, with the benefit of hindsight, his numbers may have been distorted by pitching at a time when he was coming down with his ailment — his most recent outing on May 9 featured five runs on eight hits, four walks and no strikeouts in 3 2/3 innings. In the previous outing, he’d punched out six batters in five innings while getting 17 swings and misses — including 16 on his fastball.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville