Red Sox 2013 first-rounder Trey Ball lands on disabled list
|05.14.14 at 11:35 pm ET|
Left-hander Trey Ball, the Red Sox‘ first-round pick (No. 7 overall) in the 2013 draft, was placed on the 7-day disabled list on Wednesday by the Single-A Greenville Drive. According to a source, Ball has been sidelined by a case of strep throat that had rendered him unable to take part in activities in recent days, including a missed side session.
Ball, 19, opened the year in extended spring training and had made just three starts in Greenville, posting a 6.59 ERA. However, with the benefit of hindsight, his numbers may have been distorted by pitching at a time when he was coming down with his ailment — his most recent outing on May 9 featured five runs on eight hits, four walks and no strikeouts in 3 2/3 innings. In the previous outing, he’d punched out six batters in five innings while getting 17 swings and misses — including 16 on his fastball.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins