Mookie Betts extends on-base streak to record-tying 71 games
|05.16.14 at 6:40 pm ET|
Portland Sea Dogs second baseman Mookie Betts worked a seven-pitch walk to open Friday night’s game against the Trenton Thunder, meaning that the Red Sox prospect has reached base in 71 straight games — the final 35 (30 in the regular season, five in the postseason) last year with High-A Salem, and the first 36 of this season in Double-A.
The 71-game streak is believed to match a minor league record (at least as long as such records have been kept, since 1996), joining former Sea Dogs and Red Sox players Kevin Millar (who forged the streak between Double-A and Triple-A from 1997 through 1999, with some big league time for the Marlins interspersed between minor league stints) and Kevin Youkilis (who ran off his streak for Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket in 2003), though it’s worth noting that the records of this streak are a bit hazy.
Through his first at-bat on Friday, during the 71-game streak (the approximate equivalent of half a minor league season), Betts is hitting .409 with a .483 OBP, .628 slugging mark, 11 homers and 30 steals. He’s walked 39 times and fanned on 24 occasions during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles