Mookie Betts extends on-base streak to record-tying 71 games
|05.16.14 at 6:40 pm ET|
Portland Sea Dogs second baseman Mookie Betts worked a seven-pitch walk to open Friday night’s game against the Trenton Thunder, meaning that the Red Sox prospect has reached base in 71 straight games — the final 35 (30 in the regular season, five in the postseason) last year with High-A Salem, and the first 36 of this season in Double-A.
The 71-game streak is believed to match a minor league record (at least as long as such records have been kept, since 1996), joining former Sea Dogs and Red Sox players Kevin Millar (who forged the streak between Double-A and Triple-A from 1997 through 1999, with some big league time for the Marlins interspersed between minor league stints) and Kevin Youkilis (who ran off his streak for Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket in 2003), though it’s worth noting that the records of this streak are a bit hazy.
Through his first at-bat on Friday, during the 71-game streak (the approximate equivalent of half a minor league season), Betts is hitting .409 with a .483 OBP, .628 slugging mark, 11 homers and 30 steals. He’s walked 39 times and fanned on 24 occasions during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven