Mookie Betts extends on-base streak to record-tying 71 games
|05.16.14 at 6:40 pm ET|
Portland Sea Dogs second baseman Mookie Betts worked a seven-pitch walk to open Friday night’s game against the Trenton Thunder, meaning that the Red Sox prospect has reached base in 71 straight games — the final 35 (30 in the regular season, five in the postseason) last year with High-A Salem, and the first 36 of this season in Double-A.
The 71-game streak is believed to match a minor league record (at least as long as such records have been kept, since 1996), joining former Sea Dogs and Red Sox players Kevin Millar (who forged the streak between Double-A and Triple-A from 1997 through 1999, with some big league time for the Marlins interspersed between minor league stints) and Kevin Youkilis (who ran off his streak for Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket in 2003), though it’s worth noting that the records of this streak are a bit hazy.
Through his first at-bat on Friday, during the 71-game streak (the approximate equivalent of half a minor league season), Betts is hitting .409 with a .483 OBP, .628 slugging mark, 11 homers and 30 steals. He’s walked 39 times and fanned on 24 occasions during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss