Mookie Betts extends on-base streak to record-tying 71 games
|05.16.14 at 6:40 pm ET|
Portland Sea Dogs second baseman Mookie Betts worked a seven-pitch walk to open Friday night’s game against the Trenton Thunder, meaning that the Red Sox prospect has reached base in 71 straight games — the final 35 (30 in the regular season, five in the postseason) last year with High-A Salem, and the first 36 of this season in Double-A.
The 71-game streak is believed to match a minor league record (at least as long as such records have been kept, since 1996), joining former Sea Dogs and Red Sox players Kevin Millar (who forged the streak between Double-A and Triple-A from 1997 through 1999, with some big league time for the Marlins interspersed between minor league stints) and Kevin Youkilis (who ran off his streak for Portland and Triple-A Pawtucket in 2003), though it’s worth noting that the records of this streak are a bit hazy.
Through his first at-bat on Friday, during the 71-game streak (the approximate equivalent of half a minor league season), Betts is hitting .409 with a .483 OBP, .628 slugging mark, 11 homers and 30 steals. He’s walked 39 times and fanned on 24 occasions during the run.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins