Red Sox lineup: Shane Victorino still sidelined against Tigers and Max Scherzer
|05.16.14 at 3:22 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be without one of their catalysts as they prepare to face the Tigers and reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer. Right fielder Shane Victorino, who missed the series finale in Minnesota due to soreness in his knee, is once again out for Friday night’s game, which will feature a matchup of Scherzer against Red Sox ace Jon Lester. In his absence, Mike Carp will start in left, Grady Sizemore will get the start in right field while Jackie Bradley Jr. will start in center.
David Ortiz has enjoyed considerable success against Scherzer, while Lester has encountered considerable difficulty against a number of Tigers hitters — including Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter, each of whom have hit better than .400 against the Sox lefty. Interestingly, though A.J. Pierzynski has enjoyed considerable success offensively (.333 average, .324 OBP, .515 slugging mark in 34 career plate appearances) against Scherzer, the Sox have elected to have David Ross — with whom Lester has a 2.45 ERA, 10.4 strikeouts per nine and 1.6 walks per nine — behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Grady Sizemore, RF
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Mike Carp, LF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler