Red Sox lineup: Shane Victorino still sidelined against Tigers and Max Scherzer
|05.16.14 at 3:22 pm ET|
The Red Sox will be without one of their catalysts as they prepare to face the Tigers and reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer. Right fielder Shane Victorino, who missed the series finale in Minnesota due to soreness in his knee, is once again out for Friday night’s game, which will feature a matchup of Scherzer against Red Sox ace Jon Lester. In his absence, Mike Carp will start in left, Grady Sizemore will get the start in right field while Jackie Bradley Jr. will start in center.
David Ortiz has enjoyed considerable success against Scherzer, while Lester has encountered considerable difficulty against a number of Tigers hitters — including Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter, each of whom have hit better than .400 against the Sox lefty. Interestingly, though A.J. Pierzynski has enjoyed considerable success offensively (.333 average, .324 OBP, .515 slugging mark in 34 career plate appearances) against Scherzer, the Sox have elected to have David Ross — with whom Lester has a 2.45 ERA, 10.4 strikeouts per nine and 1.6 walks per nine — behind the plate.
RED SOX LINEUP
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Grady Sizemore, RF
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Mike Carp, LF
Xander Bogaerts, SS
Jackie Bradley Jr., CF
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
David Ross, C
Jon Lester, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp