Shane Victorino to receive MRI on ‘bothersome’ left knee
|05.16.14 at 5:24 pm ET|
Shane Victorino is not in the lineup for the second game in a row, and the right fielder will undergo imaging tests on his sore left knee on Friday.
Victorino injured the knee in Tuesday’s game, sliding into third base on a triple. The outfielder remained in the game after an injury delay and played on Wednesday, but was held out of the series finale on Thursday. Manager John Farrell deemed it “unlikely” Victorino would be available in any capacity against the Tigers on Friday.
“He’s going to go for some imaging here [Friday] afternoon to try and get a better read on what he’s dealing with,” Farrell said. “The recommendation of the medical staff was to hold him out today at a minimum, and hopefully the information we get back [tells us] this is a short-term situation.”
In his 15 games since coming off the disabled list on April 24, Victorino is batting .292/.333/.400 with five doubles, a triple and nine RBIs. The Red Sox are 9-6 with Victorino in the lineup. The 33-year-old launched the series-clinching grand slam in the seventh inning of Game Six of the 2013 ALCS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory