Shane Victorino to receive MRI on ‘bothersome’ left knee
|05.16.14 at 5:24 pm ET|
Shane Victorino is not in the lineup for the second game in a row, and the right fielder will undergo imaging tests on his sore left knee on Friday.
Victorino injured the knee in Tuesday’s game, sliding into third base on a triple. The outfielder remained in the game after an injury delay and played on Wednesday, but was held out of the series finale on Thursday. Manager John Farrell deemed it “unlikely” Victorino would be available in any capacity against the Tigers on Friday.
“He’s going to go for some imaging here [Friday] afternoon to try and get a better read on what he’s dealing with,” Farrell said. “The recommendation of the medical staff was to hold him out today at a minimum, and hopefully the information we get back [tells us] this is a short-term situation.”
In his 15 games since coming off the disabled list on April 24, Victorino is batting .292/.333/.400 with five doubles, a triple and nine RBIs. The Red Sox are 9-6 with Victorino in the lineup. The 33-year-old launched the series-clinching grand slam in the seventh inning of Game Six of the 2013 ALCS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair
- Cup of Coffee: Tavarez leads Portland to doubleheader split