Shane Victorino to receive MRI on ‘bothersome’ left knee
|05.16.14 at 5:24 pm ET|
Shane Victorino is not in the lineup for the second game in a row, and the right fielder will undergo imaging tests on his sore left knee on Friday.
Victorino injured the knee in Tuesday’s game, sliding into third base on a triple. The outfielder remained in the game after an injury delay and played on Wednesday, but was held out of the series finale on Thursday. Manager John Farrell deemed it “unlikely” Victorino would be available in any capacity against the Tigers on Friday.
“He’s going to go for some imaging here [Friday] afternoon to try and get a better read on what he’s dealing with,” Farrell said. “The recommendation of the medical staff was to hold him out today at a minimum, and hopefully the information we get back [tells us] this is a short-term situation.”
In his 15 games since coming off the disabled list on April 24, Victorino is batting .292/.333/.400 with five doubles, a triple and nine RBIs. The Red Sox are 9-6 with Victorino in the lineup. The 33-year-old launched the series-clinching grand slam in the seventh inning of Game Six of the 2013 ALCS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again