Shane Victorino to receive MRI on ‘bothersome’ left knee
|05.16.14 at 5:24 pm ET|
Shane Victorino is not in the lineup for the second game in a row, and the right fielder will undergo imaging tests on his sore left knee on Friday.
Victorino injured the knee in Tuesday’s game, sliding into third base on a triple. The outfielder remained in the game after an injury delay and played on Wednesday, but was held out of the series finale on Thursday. Manager John Farrell deemed it “unlikely” Victorino would be available in any capacity against the Tigers on Friday.
“He’s going to go for some imaging here [Friday] afternoon to try and get a better read on what he’s dealing with,” Farrell said. “The recommendation of the medical staff was to hold him out today at a minimum, and hopefully the information we get back [tells us] this is a short-term situation.”
In his 15 games since coming off the disabled list on April 24, Victorino is batting .292/.333/.400 with five doubles, a triple and nine RBIs. The Red Sox are 9-6 with Victorino in the lineup. The 33-year-old launched the series-clinching grand slam in the seventh inning of Game Six of the 2013 ALCS.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort