Jackie Bradley Jr.: ‘I’m lost’
|05.17.14 at 12:38 am ET|
The struggles and frustrations are getting deeper for Jackie Bradley Jr.
The center fielder went 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts on Friday in the Red Sox‘ 1-0 loss to the Tigers, with his punchout with no outs and runners on first and second in the bottom of the seventh inning representing a pivotal development in the Sox’ failure to push a run across. Bradley is now hitting .128 with a .226 OBP and .170 slugging mark in the month of May, a page of the calendar in which he’s striking out in 32 percent of his plate appearances.
There have been instances in which he’s hit the ball well but with nothing to show for it, but that wasn’t the case on Friday night. And Bradley — now hitting .200 with a .301 OBP and .296 slugging mark for the year — couldn’t mask his dismay, particularly given that the team had trusted him to swing away (rather than bunt) in the crucial seventh inning sequence.
‘It is very frustrating. I’m lost. I’m not getting the results that I want and I’m sure it’s not the results they want,” said Bradley. “The past few games I felt like I’ve had some very well hit baseballs and nothing to show for it. You have to go back to the drawing board.”
Bradley had been one of the Sox’ most effective hitters with runners in scoring position to start the year, though that has taken a recent turn. Since May 3, he’s 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and has yet to get a ball out of the infield, having struck out three times and grounded out five times, failing to advance the runners in any of those plate appearances. (He did receive one intentional walk with runners on second and third.) Still, based on the success in such situations that preceded his recent funk, Bradley wasn’t surprised to be swinging away in the seventh inning, but he was disconsolate about his ability to do anything with the opportunity.
“They did have faith in me. I have faith in myself. With runners in scoring position this year, I feel like I’ve been putting quality at-bats together, and I wasn’t able to get it done tonight,” said Bradley.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins