Jackie Bradley Jr.: ‘I’m lost’
|05.17.14 at 12:38 am ET|
The struggles and frustrations are getting deeper for Jackie Bradley Jr.
The center fielder went 0-for-3 with a pair of strikeouts on Friday in the Red Sox‘ 1-0 loss to the Tigers, with his punchout with no outs and runners on first and second in the bottom of the seventh inning representing a pivotal development in the Sox’ failure to push a run across. Bradley is now hitting .128 with a .226 OBP and .170 slugging mark in the month of May, a page of the calendar in which he’s striking out in 32 percent of his plate appearances.
There have been instances in which he’s hit the ball well but with nothing to show for it, but that wasn’t the case on Friday night. And Bradley — now hitting .200 with a .301 OBP and .296 slugging mark for the year — couldn’t mask his dismay, particularly given that the team had trusted him to swing away (rather than bunt) in the crucial seventh inning sequence.
‘It is very frustrating. I’m lost. I’m not getting the results that I want and I’m sure it’s not the results they want,” said Bradley. “The past few games I felt like I’ve had some very well hit baseballs and nothing to show for it. You have to go back to the drawing board.”
Bradley had been one of the Sox’ most effective hitters with runners in scoring position to start the year, though that has taken a recent turn. Since May 3, he’s 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and has yet to get a ball out of the infield, having struck out three times and grounded out five times, failing to advance the runners in any of those plate appearances. (He did receive one intentional walk with runners on second and third.) Still, based on the success in such situations that preceded his recent funk, Bradley wasn’t surprised to be swinging away in the seventh inning, but he was disconsolate about his ability to do anything with the opportunity.
“They did have faith in me. I have faith in myself. With runners in scoring position this year, I feel like I’ve been putting quality at-bats together, and I wasn’t able to get it done tonight,” said Bradley.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates