Felix Doubront leaves game with injury
|05.20.14 at 8:53 pm ET|
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront was shelled for five runs on five hits and three walks in just four-plus innings of work, but that’s not why he left the game after permitting back-to-back doubles to open the top of the fifth inning. Right after pitching coach Juan Nieves went to the mound to consult with the pitcher, he summoned trainer Rick Jaymeson and manager John Farrell to examine the left-hander. After a brief conference on the mound, Doubront was pulled from the game due to injury.
The left-hander’s final inning featured an 87-88 mph fastball, down from the 87-90 mph he was flashing throughout the game. Entering the day, he’d averaged about 92 mph for the year on his fastball. Based on the data available at the indispensable BrooksBaseball.net, Doubront hadn’t averaged under 91 mph in any of his prior starts this year.
The Red Sox described the cause of Doubront’s departure as “left shoulder fatigue.” The left-hander has a 5.12 ERA for the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville