Felix Doubront leaves game with injury
|05.20.14 at 8:53 pm ET|
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront was shelled for five runs on five hits and three walks in just four-plus innings of work, but that’s not why he left the game after permitting back-to-back doubles to open the top of the fifth inning. Right after pitching coach Juan Nieves went to the mound to consult with the pitcher, he summoned trainer Rick Jaymeson and manager John Farrell to examine the left-hander. After a brief conference on the mound, Doubront was pulled from the game due to injury.
The left-hander’s final inning featured an 87-88 mph fastball, down from the 87-90 mph he was flashing throughout the game. Entering the day, he’d averaged about 92 mph for the year on his fastball. Based on the data available at the indispensable BrooksBaseball.net, Doubront hadn’t averaged under 91 mph in any of his prior starts this year.
The Red Sox described the cause of Doubront’s departure as “left shoulder fatigue.” The left-hander has a 5.12 ERA for the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game