Felix Doubront leaves game with injury
|05.20.14 at 8:53 pm ET|
Red Sox left-hander Felix Doubront was shelled for five runs on five hits and three walks in just four-plus innings of work, but that’s not why he left the game after permitting back-to-back doubles to open the top of the fifth inning. Right after pitching coach Juan Nieves went to the mound to consult with the pitcher, he summoned trainer Rick Jaymeson and manager John Farrell to examine the left-hander. After a brief conference on the mound, Doubront was pulled from the game due to injury.
The left-hander’s final inning featured an 87-88 mph fastball, down from the 87-90 mph he was flashing throughout the game. Entering the day, he’d averaged about 92 mph for the year on his fastball. Based on the data available at the indispensable BrooksBaseball.net, Doubront hadn’t averaged under 91 mph in any of his prior starts this year.
The Red Sox described the cause of Doubront’s departure as “left shoulder fatigue.” The left-hander has a 5.12 ERA for the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech dominates again, Dalbec blasts a pair
- Cup of Coffee: Tavarez leads Portland to doubleheader split