Source: Red Sox sign Stephen Drew to 1-year deal
|05.20.14 at 3:10 pm ET|
The Red Sox have signed shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year deal, according to an industry source. Drew will receive the prorated portion of the $14 million qualifying offer he turned down in the offseason, which comes to roughly $10 million. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Drew is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment shortly before joining the big-league team.
Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Sox last season, but struggled in the playoffs as he posted a .111/.140/.204 line.
The Red Sox entered this season with Xander Bogaerts at short and Will Middlebrooks at third, but an injury to Middlebrooks increased the need for more depth on the left side of the infield. Drew gives the Sox the option to play him at short and move Bogaerts to third, where he played in the World Series last year.
Had Drew signed elsewhere before this year’s draft, the Red Sox would have received a draft pick as compensation. By signing mid-season, Drew becomes exempt from getting another qualifying offer after this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash