Source: Red Sox sign Stephen Drew to 1-year deal
|05.20.14 at 3:10 pm ET|
The Red Sox have signed shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year deal, according to an industry source. Drew will receive the prorated portion of the $14 million qualifying offer he turned down in the offseason, which comes to roughly $10 million. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Drew is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment shortly before joining the big-league team.
Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Sox last season, but struggled in the playoffs as he posted a .111/.140/.204 line.
The Red Sox entered this season with Xander Bogaerts at short and Will Middlebrooks at third, but an injury to Middlebrooks increased the need for more depth on the left side of the infield. Drew gives the Sox the option to play him at short and move Bogaerts to third, where he played in the World Series last year.
Had Drew signed elsewhere before this year’s draft, the Red Sox would have received a draft pick as compensation. By signing mid-season, Drew becomes exempt from getting another qualifying offer after this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players