Source: Red Sox sign Stephen Drew to 1-year deal
|05.20.14 at 3:10 pm ET|
The Red Sox have signed shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year deal, according to an industry source. Drew will receive the prorated portion of the $14 million qualifying offer he turned down in the offseason, which comes to roughly $10 million. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Drew is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment shortly before joining the big-league team.
Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Sox last season, but struggled in the playoffs as he posted a .111/.140/.204 line.
The Red Sox entered this season with Xander Bogaerts at short and Will Middlebrooks at third, but an injury to Middlebrooks increased the need for more depth on the left side of the infield. Drew gives the Sox the option to play him at short and move Bogaerts to third, where he played in the World Series last year.
Had Drew signed elsewhere before this year’s draft, the Red Sox would have received a draft pick as compensation. By signing mid-season, Drew becomes exempt from getting another qualifying offer after this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory