Source: Red Sox sign Stephen Drew to 1-year deal
|05.20.14 at 3:10 pm ET|
The Red Sox have signed shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year deal, according to an industry source. Drew will receive the prorated portion of the $14 million qualifying offer he turned down in the offseason, which comes to roughly $10 million. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Drew is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment shortly before joining the big-league team.
Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Sox last season, but struggled in the playoffs as he posted a .111/.140/.204 line.
The Red Sox entered this season with Xander Bogaerts at short and Will Middlebrooks at third, but an injury to Middlebrooks increased the need for more depth on the left side of the infield. Drew gives the Sox the option to play him at short and move Bogaerts to third, where he played in the World Series last year.
Had Drew signed elsewhere before this year’s draft, the Red Sox would have received a draft pick as compensation. By signing mid-season, Drew becomes exempt from getting another qualifying offer after this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt