Source: Red Sox sign Stephen Drew to 1-year deal
|05.20.14 at 3:10 pm ET|
The Red Sox have signed shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year deal, according to an industry source. Drew will receive the prorated portion of the $14 million qualifying offer he turned down in the offseason, which comes to roughly $10 million. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report the deal.
Drew is expected to begin a minor league rehab assignment shortly before joining the big-league team.
Drew hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Sox last season, but struggled in the playoffs as he posted a .111/.140/.204 line.
The Red Sox entered this season with Xander Bogaerts at short and Will Middlebrooks at third, but an injury to Middlebrooks increased the need for more depth on the left side of the infield. Drew gives the Sox the option to play him at short and move Bogaerts to third, where he played in the World Series last year.
Had Drew signed elsewhere before this year’s draft, the Red Sox would have received a draft pick as compensation. By signing mid-season, Drew becomes exempt from getting another qualifying offer after this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs