Tuesday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Felix Doubront vs. J.A. Happ
|05.20.14 at 8:46 am ET|
The Red Sox will look to snap their longest losing streak in over a year as they host the Blue Jays for a three-game set at Fenway Park. Felix Doubront will take the mound for Boston and face off against J.A. Happ in Tuesday’s opener.
Boston has lost four games in a row for the first time since the team dropped its final eight contests to close out the 2012 season.
“We’ve got to regroup,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell after the team’s 6-2 loss to the Tigers on Sunday. “We’ve got to be better in all phases. Toronto comes in here, and this is a team that’s playing well. Collectively, we have to be better all the way around.”
Doubront (2-3, 4.54 ERA) has yet to log at least seven innings in any of his starts this season.
Despite his inability to pitch deep into games, Doubront has recorded quality starts in half of his appearances, including his last outing against the Twins last Wednesday.
Doubront earned his second win of the year against Minnesota, allowing just one run, striking out five and walking one batter (a season-low mark) over 6 1/3 innings of work. The victory was the first for Doubront since his first start of the season on April 3 against the Orioles.
“I feel pretty good,” Doubront said after the game. “I limited the damage in those couple of innings. My breaking ball was good, the fastball was efficient — the two-seamer. Everything felt pretty good tonight.”
In three starts in May, Doubront has posted a 2.55 ERA with 13 strikeouts and five walks over 17 2/3 innings.
Doubront has had success against the Blue Jays, posting a 3.44 ERA in three starts against the club in 2013. In seven career starts against Toronto, Doubront is 3-2 with a 4.60 ERA.
Happ (2-1, 3.57 ERA) is coming off of his best performance of the year, as the lefty limited the Indians to six hits and one run over six innings last Thursday.
“I think you’re always [trying to prove yourself] to somebody,” Happ said after the game. “I felt good, definitely nice to go out there and have a fairly strong outing.”
It’s been an arduous affair for Happ in 2014, as the Peru, Ill., native started the year on the disabled list with a sore back and pitched out of the bullpen in April before earning a spot back in the rotation on May 5.
Happ struggled with his control in his last start against Boston on May 2, 2013, walking seven batters and surrendering two runs in 3 2/3 innings. Happ is 1-2 with a 4.91 ERA in five career appearances against the Red Sox.
Blue Jays vs. Doubront (LHP)
Edwin Encarnacion (18 plate appearances): .333 AVG/.389 OBP/.600 SLG, 1 home run, 5 strikeouts
Brett Lawrie (16): .313/.313/.438, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (15): .214/.267/.857, 3 HR, 3 RBIs
Jose Reyes (15): .400/.400/.733, 2 doubles, 1 HR
Adam Lind (13): .167/.231/.167, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Kevin Pillar (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 HR, 2 RBIs
Steven Tolleson (2): .500/.500/2.000, 1 HR, 2 RBIs
Melky Cabrera is hitless in three plate appearances vs. Doubront.
Josh Thole has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Doubront.
Red Sox vs. Happ (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (12): .083/.313/.167, 1 double, 4 walks
Dustin Pedroia (7): .429/.429/.571, 1 double, 1 RBI
Shane Victorino (6): .333/.667/.333, 1 single, 3 walks
Mike Napoli (4): .250/.250/.400, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
David Ross (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk
David Ortiz (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI
Mike Carp (2): 1.000/1.000/1.000, 1 walk, 1 RBI
Jonathan Herrera is hitless in three plate appearances vs. Happ.
Jackie Bradley Jr. has one strikeout in two plate appearances vs. Happ.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller